M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of converting my scout squad to a standard length M1A.

Springfield will convert it with a 22 inch chrome moly barrel, scope mount and hand guard for 350 dollars.
Opinions??

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
I would look into trading rifles with someone looking for a Scout. If you are going to buy a barrel, there are better choices.

·
Registered
796 Posts
My socom started life as a standard and the previous owner had it converted to a socom by SPringfield. It's never failed and runs good in the several hundred rounds I have out through it in the last few years. Maybe their custom and repair shop puts a bit more care into their work than the regular production floor. FYI I paid way less than msrp sticker for my rifle so keep that in mind if and when you go to resell it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Price isn't bad though.

If you like the way it is functioning I would do that over a trade. You might not like what you get with the new one....

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Agree that the price if not bad if you don't have good local options for a barrel swap. If you can get the work done locally, you can get a barrel for $249-$329 + shipping for a very nice barrel. You are going to have to pay to ship the rifle back and forth which is going to be $70-90 depending on how you go about it. Not sure what you could get for the scout barrel.

Sure doesn't hurt to explore the trade option here on the forum. You have a good bunch of folks and might both come out with what you want.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Yes, you just need to get another rifle so you can have both. Use your favorite and keep the other for backup. If you spend much time on this forum you will probably end up with more than 1, 4 or 5 is more common than you might think and a few even have 10-20. Those are the truly blessed M14 addicts.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I started with a Scout and ended up picking up a SOCOM. I like the 16" better... it just feels right to me, don't hate!... but I never considered selling the 18.5". I'm invested in the platform and like the idea of being able to keep at least one running for the rest of my days regardless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts