M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've thought this about half way through and not sure what to do. If I were going to build, I'd start with a LRB barrelled action(with 18.5" chrome-lined barrel). But I also wondered as to which way to go without breaking the bank(more $ = more time for project) :mad: I would also have to buy the specific tools to build on my own (gauges, manuals, etc.) ](*,) Any comments/help will be greatly appreciated! Happy Thanksgiving to all! :)

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Re: without breaking the bank

Much depends on what your budget is and how you want to configure the weapon.

6016Mech said:
I've thought this about half way through and not sure what to do. If I were going to build, I'd start with a LRB barrelled action(with 18.5" chrome-lined barrel).
You have great taste in hardware.
The LRB barreled action you described is a Hi-Tech, Hi-End Forged receiver, GI bolt and a chrome lined Tanker barrel. Inve$tment quality.

You still need a trigger group, an op-rod, spring, guide and complete gas system and a few other items before you can install it in a stock.
You will want GI part$.

Stock options are many. GI, Wood, Synthetic and modified stocks. LAW483 has several examples of many of the modified stocks available. $AGE and TROY also have offerings.
Again, how do you want the weapon to look and function?

6016Mech said:
I also wondered as to which way to go without breaking the bank(more $ = more time for project) :mad: I would also have to buy the specific tools to build on my own (gauges, manuals, etc.) ](*,) Any comments/help will be greatly appreciated! Happy Thanksgiving to all! :)
I do not yet have all the tools and all the hands on knowledge needed to build on my own. However, this has not stopped me from gradually modifying my SA, Inc. Scout over the last 3 and a half years.
The money and time I could have spent on tools and training was spent on upgraded parts and professional installation services.

When I am finished with my Scout project I plan to invest the needed time and money into being able to service/repair and even build on my own.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted with pictures. We love pictures.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey SunRise 420,
Thanks for the input :) I would prefer to have a scout that is as close to GI as possible. Another reason I want to get more tools(a man can never have too many :lol:) is because I want to be able to maintain the rifles I now have. I'm not afraid to try building my own rifle. After all, if I can fix airplanes, I don't think assembling all parts to get a rifle as the end result would be too hard. I'm sure that the hunt for GI M-14 parts will be quite a quest indeed. As far as pics are concerned, I need to get a digital camera. Once I do, I'll post lots of pics of my babies!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Build or Buy ?

Hey there 6066Mech,,sounds like you have some good ideals! I will own a LRB someday for sure but now I have a Fulton Comp Grade and My Scout,it has few goodies built into it! I've had my Scout over a year and its been a GREAT Rifle,,but thorugh the year I have had a NM trigger job by Warbird,added a NM Spring Guide and a NM Coated gas piston both from www.sadlak.com great stuff! The gas cylinder is Unitized and a Smith Vortex FS and Gas Lock Site installed,,its a great shooter and I've had ZERO problems,, :) I been going to put a GI bolt in it,but it has a Forged Bolt already so why bother,,I guess Springfield put them in some,so my plus I guess! ANyways here are a few Pics if your interested,have fun decieding on which way to go! :

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Build or buy?

Hey m1a_scoutguy,
That is a sweet piece of iron! Something about short-barrelled battlerifles just gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside :x_twisted: How's that Vortex FS work in low light :?: Being a purist, I'll more than likely go with the GI flash suppressor. I also will get one of LAW483's M-14E2 Synthetic stocks for the project. I thank you for your input sir :!:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.