M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just kind of curious as to your thoughts when it comes to scoping your SKS ...

I never actually had scoped any of mine when I had them and this is strictly from my experiences but ...

When I worked at The Firingline for all of four years I had "never" observed during that time a scoped SKS (brought in by numerous customers) that would hold any kind of consistent group.

While the barrel was cold the first several rounds were pretty fair but after that they would start drifting considerably ...

Not enough to exit an effective kill zone on center mass but if one was trying to be Carlos Hatcock you could forget it ...

I saw all sorts of combinations with mounts and scopes in those four years but like I said ... I never saw one that was all that effective and worked very well and most of the customers ended up removing them and going back to the irons ...

Your thoughts ...

Six

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well Six while my experience with the scoped SKS's isn't huge (I've only had 3 that were scoped out of 7 total). The one I like to use the most is one of my Russians that is scoped. So far it's stayed pretty much on zero - but then again I've yet to really tear it down and put it back together much which I understand to be the true test.

·
Registered
846 Posts
i gave up on scoping mine some time back. it was great until you tore it apart. after rezeroing everytime i would shoot it for a few years i just yanked the part off and went back to irons.

·
Registered
244 Posts
scoping...........

I pretty much doubt based on my experience that a good scope set up is possible on an SKS.

Solid might be attained but the line of sight is way too high for me.

I'm going to try Lyman's receiver sight and see how that works; it appears good from inspection prior to mounting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SKS Scope Mount

The only decent scope mount for the SKS is a drilled & tapped side mount

Kalinka and Kengs both sell one suitable to the purpose that won't loose zero and allow easy field stripping for cleaning.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I put a cheap red-dot on mine
I wouldn't spend more than $45 to scope an SKS
It just ain't worth it at 3-4 moa

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: scoping...........

Kivaari said:
I pretty much doubt based on my experience that a good scope set up is possible on an SKS.

Solid might be attained but the line of sight is way too high for me.
One possibility to fix the "high scope" problem is a removeable cheek-piece. There are several strap-on or bolt-on models that could work. Rooster33 makes a good one.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The DC Engineeering Mount (about $90) will do the job without drilling ot tapping.

I have had one on mine for about 2 years. It holds zero fine, it's a little pricey, but I have a cheap Leapers 6x compact scope on it.

In fact, I took it as my spare hunting rifle and after being in a case for 6 months the scope was maybe 4 inches off, but then it was perfect.

DC Engineeering is the way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts