M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a subforum for scopes but wanted to put this here since the rifle is an extended rail socom II, and I know there are a few of you here running a similar set-up. I got a few gift cards from my b day last week and want to buy a scope for ~$250. The rifle is still in the SA synthetic stock, I don't hunt, and just shoot 100 yards at the range. I would like to try the 200 eventually (my local range rule is scope required for 200).

Right now I am leaning towards this: Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40mm. $270 at Dick's.

Is 4-12x maybe too much scope for a deuce, and should I perhaps just go with a 3-9x? Only $45 difference between the two anyhow, and am just thinking the more power the better.

The second half of my question would be a suggestion on a mount. I have been looking at LaRue pieces and want the QD speed lever type, something like these ---> Tactical ultra-low mount rings. But apparently these are only available in 30mm and the Leupold is spec'd at 1" tube diameter.

I also like this here Tactical M4 scope mount, but might it put the scope too high? I know it is spec'd for an AR but am guessing maybe it'll work with a cheek pad. I do like the idea of it being one piece.

Are there any mounts out there that let me keep the sights at the same time (am guessing not as the scope will be too high)? Somehow lol I think that is a total newb question, isn't it.

Any suggestions are greatly appeciated. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Why don't you just get some QD rings? Or maybe a forward mounted LER scope? Say a Burris 2.75x scout? Or on of their pistol scopes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would the benefit be of a low power forward mounted type compared to a standard scope in which I have the extended rail for.

I think the rings you are recommending are the ones I am already looking at?

thanks for the suggestions.

·
Rest in Peace
794 Posts
Is it an extended cluster rail? Then you don't need a base -- any good mount will work -- you could also look at a 3-9 Redfield (made by Leupold) if you're just going to 100 yards.

IOR 1-4 on Socom in IOR rings

Leupold 4.5-14x on Socom

Redfield in Leupold Mark iv rings:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the first set of rings you linked to would serve you very well. LaRue makes a set of shims to mount a 1" tube in their 30mm rings. http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=24
I'm not aware of any mount that will let you co witness an optic with the factory sights on the VLTOR rail. For that you'd have to use the Ultimak, which I believe will co witness with Aimpoint's T1/H1 in a low mount. But the quality of the VLTOR rail when used in conjunction with the Quality of LaRue's QD mounts will let you dismount the optic and use your irons without worrying about POI shift when you return the scope to the rail.

Whatever your problem, if LaRue Tactical is one of your options, then LaRue Tactical is the solution. GI1
(Can you tell I like the taste of their koolaide?)

Edit to add: Those are some sweet looking sticks Gun Rider!

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's a good point. Or you can opt for a scout style scope with enough eye relief to mount more forward on the rail.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks very much for the input guys, still a little confused on which mount, and don't want to go with a more forward mount.

I guess I will have to figure out which rings exactly (to clear the rear sight) I suppose based on scope dimensions?

In other words I might have to go with this instead of these?

·
Rest in Peace
794 Posts
thanks very much for the input guys, still a little confused on which mount, and don't want to go with a more forward mount.

I guess I will have to figure out which rings exactly (to clear the rear sight) I suppose based on scope dimensions?

In other words I might have to go with this instead of these?
It is clearing the rear sight and also because the rail extends over the handgaurd area a large objective bell at the front of the scope of 50mm will hit the rail with some rings.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Don't take this personally, but it's obvious that you don't know much about scopes, and what you're suggesting here seems totally unworkable to me.
(I don't claim to be an expert, but I know enough to recognize the limitations of knowledge.)

My advice: You should do a lot more research before you get serious about putting any money down anywhere.

Learn about eye relief and field of view: these are very, very important.

(my local range rule is scope required for 200).
This doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I don't hunt, and just shoot 100 yards at the range. I would like to try the 200 eventually (my local range rule is scope required for 200).

Is 4-12x maybe too much scope for a deuce, and should I perhaps just go with a 3-9x?

... am just thinking the more power the better.
The 4-12x isn't too much for a SOCOM II, but it's really excessive for 100-200yds.

More magnification is NOT always better, and IMHO, at these ranges 4-12x is trading too much field of view for magnification.

The second half of my question would be a suggestion on a mount. I have been looking at LaRue pieces and want the QD speed lever type, something like these ---> Tactical ultra-low mount rings.

I also like this here Tactical M4 scope mount, but might it put the scope too high?
Neither of these will work well with the scope you mentioned above.

You need either a long-eye-relief scope to use the second mounts (or maybe you could reverse it?).

Back to the drawing board,

Bimmer

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yup I am just now learning about optics and very open to advice so thanks for yours. I have learned everything about my m1a on TFL, am grateful for that, and therefore decided to post this thread here as well.

fwiw the range is on LI, NY, and no rifle hunting here at all so I'm assuming the scope rule for 200 yds is to keep stray bullets in the burms and not someone's backyard.

thanks for all the replies dance2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts