M14 Forum banner

Scoping an m1a or just use an AR?

4041 57
Long story short, I ended up with two m1a rifles one of which has a scope mount and the other one has national match iron sites. I have a bunch of friends at my range who shoot high power so I wandered over to shoot a club match with the iron sights rifle and did ok. I noticed everyone was shooting an AR with a 4.5 scope and the consensus is that’s the way to go. I really don’t want to buy another gun so thinking of throwing a 4.5x scope on the m1a with the scope mount rail or just keep shooting irons. Any thoughts?
Reactions: Seabee71
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
You would also need a checkpiece on the M1a in order to get your head in good position for the scope.
If you want to shoot competitive scores along with the better AR15 shooters, that will be difficult with M1a - yes some can and do, but not many ... The AR15 is just easier because of good accuracy and less recoil.
For 'fun' recreational competition, there's nothing wrong with iron sights - if you can see the sights well.
Only drawback is many shooters will tell you how much easier it is to shoot with a scope!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I’m going to try and find a dedicated AR upper so I don’t need buy another gun. The M1A is a literal blast to shoot and it seems strange that they don’t have a sub category for the M1A in the competitions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 2 lowers and about 5 different uppers in different configurations. I’m severely space constrained and store my lowers in my small safe and have to leave my uppers in my storage closet. The irony is that just one of my uppers is worth about 6k but the lower is the controlled item.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The others have said it. An AR with optics is the way to go if you want to be competitive. If you're out to have fun and shoot against yourself, the M1A will definitely let you know how your positions are. The AR is much more forgiving. Cost to be competitive with an AR is probably going to be around $1200, by the time you get a decent upper (White Oak, Compass Lake) optic mount, optic and a decent forged lower. Either way it's just FUN, so go out and do it!

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
The others have said it. An AR with optics is the way to go if you want to be competitive. If you're out to have fun and shoot against yourself, the M1A will definitely let you know how your positions are. The AR is much more forgiving. Cost to be competitive with an AR is probably going to be around $1200, by the time you get a decent upper (White Oak, Compass Lake) optic mount, optic and a decent forged lower. Either way it's just FUN, so go out and do it!
How exactly is the AR much more forgiving?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Not answering for TCAF, but for myself... It is more forgiving in recoil. Even in a poor position it won't push you around much. Also you can effectively put the butt on top of your shoulder (within the rules) and keep your head very upright in offhand. Doing the same with the M14 will cost your front teeth.. Also the cost to shoot and maintain is more forgiving.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Not answering for TCAF, but for myself... It is more forgiving in recoil. Even in a poor position it won't push you around much. Also you can effectively put the butt on top of your shoulder (within the rules) and keep your head very upright in offhand. Doing the same with the M14 will cost your front teeth.. Also the cost to shoot and maintain is more forgiving.
Yep, all of the above.

Rammac, what would lead you to believe it wouldn't be.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Primarily less recoil, but also require less acurizing.

I would recommend shooting what you have first. Get involved, learn the sport, and what’s offered locally. Maybe you find some as issued m14 competitions. Personally I have more fun shooting the thirty cal’s. No local m14 competitions around here though. Just Service rifle and JCG (which I like a lot!)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I think buying an upper/scope is the way to go. I’m going to chat up my local high power club and see what they have used before plunking down the dough for new. That way, I can shoot it as well
Great idea, most HP guys love to help others get into the sport and will usually loan out gear, time and their knowledge. Go shoot a match or two when you can, even with the M1A to start and see how much you enjoy, or don't enjoy it before you spend a ton of $$$ on gear.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Yep, all of the above.

Rammac, what would lead you to believe it wouldn't be.
It's simply a matter of perspective. When I had to transition from the M14 to the M16 in the military I found just the opposite, the shorter sight radius of the M16 made sight alignment very critical compared to the M14. But that was with iron sights, with a scope it wouldn't matter. I don't disagree with what you said, I was just wondering what factors you were considering when you made that statement. I never fired high power competition but I did do some long range shooting but all of that was from the prone so I didn't have to deal with the off-hand or sitting/kneeling issues.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts