M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Austin Rifle Club held its annual scoped match today. Regualar 88rd 200yd reduced format, but you can put any kind of optics you want on your rifle. Surpisingly (at least to me) the overall winner of the match was using iron sights, and edged out the second place shooter, who was shooting with a scope, by 790-38x to 789-39x. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the winner for every class was shooting irons. I know that the winner of the sharpshooter's class was shooting irons, and beat me by five points (I got second and was using a scope).

I shot a new personal best of 733-12x, compared to my previous high of 716-6x (irons) and my average score of around 680. Surprisingly, the scope bumped my score up the most in offhand (182-3x vs about a 162avg). I started out really well in offhand, holding the ten ring until about shot number ten. After that, I started getting tired, (a scoped M14 is not light in the offhand) and my wobble area opend up quite a bit and I starte dropping shots out the bottom and to the right.

I shot a 188-3x sitting (compared to my high 193-3x and about 185avg), 184-4x rapid prone (compared to a 189 high and about a 180avg), and 179-2x slow prone (compared to a 183-3x high and about 173avg). What helped the most with my scores this time (aside from bumping up my offhand by about twenty points), I think, was that using the scope made my shooting a bit more consistent from stage to stage.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
8O I thought you were moving Today?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the original plan, but Mel is still feeling really sore after her biopsy on Friday, so we put it off for Monday and Tuesday. We're just organizing and packing stuff up today, and will be moving small stuff tomorrow. We went ahead and hired some movers for Tuesday to move the big stuff.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, it was pretty cool. Upper 40s and low 50s. :wink: :lol: Yeah, its always good to get out to the range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.