M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Been thinking about scoping my M1A but just don't like the look of the cheek pad, as I've got a real nice Tiger striped USGI stock and I don't want to cover it up.

Is there anyone out there that shoots a scoped M1A with NO cheek pad ? If so, what's the setup you have as far as mount, rings and scope ? PICS GREATLY APPRECIATED !!

I've read about a lot of different setups for low mounts, ie..Arms#18 mount and #22 rings or Badger rings, Smith mount and TPS low rings, etc, etc ....my head hurts from them all, but none of these posts say they shoot them without the cheek pad....is it possible and still retain accurate shots ?

Any other issues that you've run into scoping it...case ejections, loose mounts, etc. ?

Not entirely sold on it, but a guy at the range this past weekend had a scout with a Leupold Mk4 1.5-5x20 MR/T, but it had a cheek pad on it....just didn't like it..LOVED the scope and actually being able to SEE the target..but...

Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
11,544 Posts
I just sold a Bassett standard low mount. It sits very low. So low that I could not have the rear sight aperture installed because there was no room for the eye-piece using a cheap Bushnell Banner. I got a high cheek weld, but it was still a usable cheek weld. Look at my pictures album to get an idea of how low it really sat.

http://m14forum.com/users/tonyben/albums/my-14/

With my Zeiss scope, I had to remove the entire rear sight assembly. I decided that I want to change directions and I want a picatinny and don't mind a cheek pad, so I sold off the Bassett and will likely get a Bassett or Sadlak picatinny later.

Tony.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
ARMS #18 mount with ARMS #22 'low' rings is the lowest you can go. you just need to make sure the scope you are using clears the rear sight. i never "need" a cheek piece on my scoped M14s....but sometimes i use them out of the luxury of having a more steady aim.

if you go the 'red dot' route, then look no further than the ultimak mount. absolutely the lowest mount available, but it really only works with 1x red dots and scout scopes. i can cowitness my irons with my ultimak.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I shoot the M1A with a GDI mount which many consider to be pretty high. Low Lepold rings, Zeiss 6X scope, no cheek pad.

I use a "chin weld". Works fine and my head is more vertical than with a low scope.

JWB

·
Registered
14 Posts
On my rifle (pictures in the poll thread on your M1A setup) I have replaced the rear sight aperture with a CASM scope mount made specifically for the M14/M1A. It is milled from a solid billet of 7075 aluminum (fully anodized) and is VERY solid and has some built in features. I have no problems with height using it with my Leupold VX-I. It would be a piece you would have to get from here in Canada, but it may just be a solution you are willing to entertain.

·
Registered
576 Posts
There might be other alternatives out there but you need to buy a shooting stock and keep the Tiger birch for show time................

Me I shoot everything I got no show rifles they become shooters too soon for show time...........GI2

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
ARMS #18 mount with ARMS #22 'low' rings is the lowest you can go. you just need to make sure the scope you are using clears the rear sight. i never "need" a cheek piece on my scoped M14s....but sometimes i use them out of the luxury of having a more steady aim.

if you go the 'red dot' route,
That's what I was leaning towards, the ARMS setup...this is the scope I've been looking at... Leupold MK4

by the way....

here is a fellow forum member who has the ARMS mount with the low ARMS rings.....he just posted these pics. hope this helps. from what i can see, it does not look like he needs a cheek rest:

http://m14forum.com/optics/optics/m14/104340-my-sp...aded-pics.html

by the way..... lets see some pictures of your gun in this tiger stripe stock.
I saw that post, but if you notice, he hasn't shot it yet. He was heading to the range soon...def follow this thread.

Plus that scope is HUGE !!...that's gotta be a 40-50mm objective, the MK4 is a 20mm objective, which I'm thinking should be even lower.

There might be other alternatives out there but you need to buy a shooting stock and keep the Tiger birch for show time.............
NO way man, I shoot this thing every weekend !!

Is this the one you're talking about Tony?... just looked too high to me...http://bassettmachine.com/images/bsmpr-wvrt10-closeup.jpg

Hate to put this kinda money into this setup and then not like it, ya know...for the money I'll end up spending, it'll be a good down payment on that dream LRB machine..GI2

...oh and some pics delivered as requested..lousy camera, doesn't do the stripes justice at all !

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
When I had a Mark 4 scope, I ran Nightforce Ultralight low rings (.887") with ARMs #18 mount and they still (barely) cleared my hooded rear sight. Since yours is not hooded, I bet you can get rings in the .885" or so height range. If you went with a 1" tube scope instead of 30mm, you could go even lower.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Unless you wanna pony up for a M21-type adjustable-comb stock your options are limited. There's a canvas bag-type cheek rest that laces or velcros on the butt or you could get a USGI fiberglass stock and build up the comb with Bondo.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So Lenny, with that setup you had then, could you shoot your rifle without the use of a cheek pad ?...and the Mark 4 1.5-5x20mm MR/T is a One-Inch scope...

bd111, that's what I'm trying to avoid...using that butt-ugly stock, cheek rest or a synthetic stock...as I've got a real nice Tiger striped USGI stock and I don't want to cover it up.

Just looked up Badger rings...they're the lowest I've found so far.... > .823 Arms #22 ...> .925

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I still used a cheek pad, but I like to anyways. Just a SWAG but if you're using a 1" scope, try 1" rings in the .70" height range. If you look for 1" ring the definitely come that low. Depending your cheek, that may work. If all else fails, try cheeknstock cheek rests. On and off he rifle in 1 second. MUCH faster than the lace on ones.

Reactions: hans4811

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think it's a chin weld as it is...consider having the stock make adjustable...shotgunners do it all the time and precision bolt guys will tell you if it doesn't fit you, you won't be able to shoot it well consistently.......

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
That stock is a real beauty!

How about some heresy? Have you considered an Ultimak forward rail/scope mount and an intermediate eye relief scope? IOW scout setup. I needed a little bit of cheek pad even with the stock SAI Scout scope mount (neck problems), but all is well with the Ultimak. Leupold FX-II 2.5x28mm scope sits as low as humanly possible.

There was a thread last week where someone was talking about a variable Leupold Scout scope. 1.5-4x IIRC. Maybe a Custom Shop job - Leupold's "Custom Shop" is GREAT to deal with IME.

Personally, I'd get a "shooting stock" for use with a scope and keep that gorgeous thing for shooting with irons.

Reactions: hans4811

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Does the arms#18 mount and low #22 rings allow you to use the irons wilth the scope removed? My low bassett mount blocks the front site.
yes....the rings are quick release, so when you take the rings off you can see the irons over the rail. the rail is very low.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.