M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations for a scope and rings that will fit on the Bassett Low Picatinny and my SA Standard. The mount is enroute to me now, and was I thinking someone might have already done some experimenting and come up with scope/ring combination for this particular mount that they would share with me. I am hoping for something like the SightMark 8.5–25 X50mm or equivalent but wasn't sure it would work with low rings and the low rail. As for the rings, I want to keep everything as low as possible, so any thoughts on a good set of low rings would be welcome also. My goal is to not have to use a cheek pad. This is the first scope I have ever mounted on a rifle. I have always gone without and I want to do things right. So any recommendations or information on what I should be looking for in a scope and rings would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
92 Posts
With a 50MM objective on the M1A I really don't see you getting by with low rings on a low Bassett mount for one. And i really doubt your get a good checkweld without a cheek riser/pad/etc.

Just FYI.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Yeah, I second the statement of you probably won't get away from having to use Mid level scope rings and a cheek riser.
Smaller scope and that might work.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Top of the CASM mount's rail is sitting 13mm above the top of the stripper clip guide.
The center line of the scope mounted in the low 30mm TPS steel 'W' rings is a tad over 38mm above the handguard. That should give you some pointers.
If this image does justice to the Basset's low picatinni mount, it feels a tad taller than CASM, so IMO you should be OK even with low rings.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2709/4532023173_3861b6afdf_b.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just went through this. You can see the important post here:

http://m14forum.com/optics/134294-rings-my-m1a-nm-2.html#post1085944

I actually sent those expensive QRW rings back and bought a set of Weaver 30mm Matte Low for $22 (Part #49121) from Optics Planet.

What I learned:

Even a 50mm bell has plenty of space in low rings on the low mount. You can see from my picture that I had 1/2" with my 40mm and you would only need 5mm more (0.2").

No matter what you use, you'll need a cheek rest. The one I ended up with has a 1-1/2" pad and it's about perfect.

You need to worry more about hitting the rear sight than the hand guard.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a Vortex 6.5-20x50 in Millet 30mm tactical rings (med height) on the same Basset mount.

I use a cheek riser. Works well.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Here’s my SA Standard with the SightMark 8.5–25 X50mm (30mm Tube) on a Bassett High Picatinny with the Barris Low Xtreme Rings
If you go with the Low Picatinny Mount, you can go with the Medium Rings for the same height seen here:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to thank everyone for the info. Especially the fact that I'm going to have to probably use Cheek Riser. Since I haven't purchased the scope yet, only the mount, I'll research a smaller scope also just in case...Thanks again...It's nice to know there are plenty of people willing to share their knowledge with others...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts