M14 Forum banner

What did you shoot at Appleseed?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Iron Sights

I have shot it both ways and 10/22 with Tech Sights and M14 with NM sights is more fun. A low power scope (0-2.5) would be fine for the visually challanged (of which I am one) but irons really are the best way. FRG1

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I voted irons.
M-14/22 w/tech sights.
M1-A
Ar-15
Savage bolt action is next.
Never shot at an Appleseed with a scope and I don't recommend it unless your vision makes it necessary.
My .02
pg
USA2

·
Registered
235 Posts
I enjoy shooting with iron sights best but my eyes are only good out to fifty yards. Lucky for me I also have a great time using the scope beyond my natural optical limits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
iron sights
bulk ammo
No rifle modifications
No .30-caliber rule
No sling.

Did it with a Marlin M60 for the patch, 4 other rifles since (AR15, M1 Garand, Marlin 795, Ruger 10/22)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I shot my first appleseed with my winchester 52 with iron sights, shot a 212.
At the next appleseed I shot my M1A scout with a 2.5 x forward mounted scout scope, shot a 243 on Saturday afternoon.
Went back to the 52 on Sunday, 228 was my best score with iron sights.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Good Marksmanship is all about Iron Sights.

Scopes and optics aren't going to make you shoot better, its a compensation for tacticool (lame) and bad marksmanship.
Bad marksmanship is just that, Bad. Unless your LE or Mil you have no practical reason for optics of most kind...

Scopes on the other had are good for hunting... thats practical.

Me and my girl agree on one thing really, we prefer the real thing rather than something run on batteries.... MCORPS1
ohhhh yeah i just said that!

·
Registered
266 Posts
haha yeah im sayin that... I also like the batteries free Trijicon Acog or their AccuPoint fiber optic / tritium method.

there really isn't much to go wrong...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can and do shoot both (sights vs. scope) as accurate on my M1A rifles. However, I believe that using a scope has a better speed component, quicker to fire a shot accurately. It's one less sight plane to deal with.

My scoped M1A is pretty big and bulky compared to my other non-scoped M1A rifles. I would say though that if the “crap hits the fan” I would grab one of my non-scope M1A rifles and go.

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I use both and really enjoy irons. But my eye site is severly limiting my time behind irons anymore.

So most of my time is now behind a scope.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts