M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I'm happy to be joining your community as I'm FINALLY picking up my first M1A (Springfield 22" Standard) tomorrow. I have many questions, but my first is this: What are the best scope mounts out there? This is my first rifle, and I intend to hunt with it, but I am very new to the sport. Are steel mounts worth the money? Or do aluminum mounts hold their own?

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Welcome to the M14 type rifle.

Bassett or Sadlak. Yes steel is worth it. Aluminum is ok too.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I'm a arms fan...
Welcome aboard...
There is a good thread/poll in the optics section and there are a couple threads on page 2 of this section about sei and sadlak mounts.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Thanks for the reply! So Basset is steel? Is there a reason it's so much less expensive than Sadlak?
Bassetts are aluminum. Not what it's composed of , but the amount of machining that goes into the Sadlak that increased the price. Totally different devices. Bassett for quick on off and Sadlak for a more permanent install.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
If anybody weighs a basset picatinny, high or low, please let me know. I thought they were steel, but if they were aluminum, they might be a nice lightweight option for my swiss army knife rifle if I want to mount a night vision toy from time to time.

For regular scope mounting, I really like the Redneck Yankee DSM for a variety of reasons, though I think that the 'best' mount will depend on priorities. It seems like any of the mounts mentioned have worked well for somebody.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
If anybody weighs a basset picatinny, high or low, please let me know. I thought they were steel, but if they were aluminum, they might be a nice lightweight option for my swiss army knife rifle if I want to mount a night vision toy from time to time.
Did the magnet test on some of mine, just to be sure, and they are aluminum as are the original USGI ART I mounts.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I wouldn't even waste my time trying to scope one. ( tried the basset and arms 18 with nothing but trouble)
The iron sights are good to go.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Unless it has a integral scope mount built into it, (nf1e) that is what works.

Reactions: nf1e

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Unless it has a integral scope mount built into it, (nf1e) that is what works.
Rgr on that Ben, but there are folks not fortunate enough to have and XM21, M21 DMR or and M25. For those , there are mounts that will work on decent receivers. The trick is to do a proper installation which some do not seem capable of.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Rgr on that Ben, but there are folks not fortunate enough to have and XM21, M21 DMR or and M25. For those , there are mounts that will work on decent receivers. The trick is to do a proper installation which some do not seem capable of.
Some of us take more tries to figure it out. But we keep trying until it works :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bassetts are aluminum. Not what it's composed of , but the amount of machining that goes into the Sadlak that increased the price. Totally different devices. Bassett for quick on off and Sadlak for a more permanent install.
I think Bassett sounds perfect for me then. I plan on taking the scope on and off every once in awhile. Thanks for the reply!

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I think Bassett sounds perfect for me then. I plan on taking the scope on and off every once in awhile. Thanks for the reply!
You are welcome. I have been moving my scopes between rifles for years with Bassetts and find that , even switching to a different rifle, zero is very close. Can't say enough about them. I have loaned out scopes attached to Bassetts to other shooters and they have enjoyed them also. Big thing to remember is to clean the screw and hole in the receiver and then properly torque the mount.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have Basset Low Picatinny Rail mounts on 3 M1As. They work perfectly, hold tightly, and are 3 point of contact mounts. Also, they will work for M1As with out of spec receivers, unlike some others. You'll need a cheek riser for use with a scope. My only admonition would be to degrease the receiver hole and the Bassett bolt to ensure secure fit.

Good luck,

Harry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts