M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to go with the Sadlak side mount and was curious about the heighth of the scope when mounted. It seems that when adjusting the scope I would run out of elevation since it sits so much higher than the barrel. Do I have a concern here or will it turn out ok?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Scope Highth

How high your scope will be is determined by the choice of rings and the size of the eye piece on the scope. The important thing is the eye piece needs to clear the rear sight aperture. Most scopes can be mounted using low rings like the TPS Tactical model. Keep in mind that some brand of low rings may be lower than others and cause problems.

I'm mounting Leupold MK4 scopes to Sadlak mounts with TPS 30mm low rings. They allow about 1/10" of clearance between the scope and rear aperture. There is plenty of clearance in the front for up to 50mm objective lenses and probably 56mm lenses.

Worst case senario is you might need medium rings, but this will probably only be true when using very large scopes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My scope rings are low rings and clear the rear sight by about 1/2" and the barrel by about 3/4". I was wondering if I would run out of high adjustment on my scope when I do get to the range.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Rings

You may want to try a different style of rings. The object is to mount the scope as low as possible while maintaining clearance for the rear sight aperture. This is with the aperture adjusted all the way down.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly. My question is when mounting a scope on an M14 am I going to have enough height adjustment with the scope sitting a 1/2 inch or so higher than my rear sight once I'm ready to sight my scope in?

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Enough sight adjustment to do what?
What kind of scope are you using?
What range are you going to use at?

Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly. My question is when mounting a scope on an M14 am I going to have enough height adjustment with the scope sitting a 1/2 inch or so higher than my rear sight once I'm ready to sight my scope in?

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
The height of the scope above the bore makes very little difference for zeroing, and you won't need excessive clicks of elevation- as long as the scope mount is straight and the scope is parallel to the bore.

If your scope ends up crooked, then you could run out of clicks when you try to zero it. MCORPS1

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Scope height

Your question is not that simple. You need to provide more information. As stated in an earlier post you do want the scope to sit as low as you can get it with out the ocular lens hitting the rear sight. Other information need would be how much elevation adjustment does the scope provide. A scope with 60 moa of elevation may or may not get you there while a scope with 100 moa will. Also when mounted how much windage did you use to zero? If you think about a tube in a tube and you move the inner tube to one side or the other you can picture you would run out of elevation a little sooner on the inner tube. You also have a little play in the mount that could give you a little down base. Not much mind you but a little. what rings do you have? Which scope are you using? These are only some of the question needed to help with the answer. But mounting it taking it out and finding out what's going on is the only way to be sure. So go for it, experience it and let use know what happen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts