M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question as I get ready to blow holes in my bank account... GI1 When shopping, what is the difference between a third gen and a fourth gen scope mount? Ive noticed the third gen are significantly cheaper, but cheap isnt always the answer. Thanks for the help, Ill wait till I hear something before making a major purchase. Happy Holidays to you and your families.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Check out the Sadlak Airborne mount... I haven't seen much good feedback about the Gen 3 and not enough feedback about the Gen 4.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
You didn't specify but it's pretty clear you are asking about Springfield Armory Inc. mounts.

Use the search function and search for "springfield" or "SAI" within the "Scopes, Rings and Mounts" forum. You will find a ton of threads where people discuss their results with the SAI Gen 3 mount, and a very recent thread discussing the SAI Gen 4 mount.

They are totally different designs. Many people had reported bad luck with the Gen 3, mount shoots loose quickly. A few people have reported good luck with them. Gen 4 is new and doesn't seem to have a lot of reports in yet.

If money is tight, take a look at the Bassett. Use the search function again and read what folks have said about their Bassett mounts.

HTH. MCORPS1

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
The Bassett mount works as advertised. Doesn't shoot loose and you can take it on and off without changing your POI. It will not break your bank either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ARMS #18 or Bassett for best low mount

Leaving price aside, is one better than the other to achieve the lowest possible mount w/o ejection problems?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Leaving price aside, is one better than the other to achieve the lowest possible mount w/o ejection problems?
They will all work without ejection problems if you tune the ejector plunger and spring.

I have a Sadlak steel mount but would go with the Basset because you can easily take it off and on to do rifle maintenance without excessive re-zero problems. This is not easy to do with three point mounts.

Don't forget that you may need a cheek piece to get proper cheek weld with the scope.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Reading these posts brought some thing else to my mind. With the Bassett mount you will not have to remove the clip guide. I still can;t get over how good they work with only the one bolt.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
ARMS 18 Feedback....

Since posting the thread below, I have run close to 700 rounds thru my Scout with all kinds of ammo with ZERO failures. So far, it has been a solid performer for me and my rifle. Just note... some SA receivers apparently do not like the ARMS. It fit mine perfectly so I really can't expand on the bad points.

I really don't know if a new extractor was needed but glad I went that way just to see what was going on inside the bolt. Many ARMS 18 users still run factory extractors so there ya'go.

Maybe some of this info can help...
http://m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=87750

·
Registered
94 Posts
Springfield sells a handguard replacement scope mount. Any comments as to this type of scope mount for reliability, holding zero, etc.?

·
Registered
94 Posts
wondered as well. I know the CMP sells a full length model for the Garand. Looks very nice. For $100 doesn't sound too bad.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Just a quick question as I get ready to blow holes in my bank account... GI1 When shopping, what is the difference between a third gen and a fourth gen scope mount? Ive noticed the third gen are significantly cheaper, but cheap isnt always the answer. Thanks for the help, Ill wait till I hear something before making a major purchase. Happy Holidays to you and your families.
What rifle?
What stock?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ive noticed the third gen are significantly cheaper, but cheap isnt always the answer.
Just noticed what the original post was about... my 2 cents is stay away from the 3rd gen. I had nothing but problems on two different M1As and finally figured out it was the mount. That's why there's a 4th, I bet. So far, I've heard no complaints on the 4th gen SA mount. I truly hope they are getting it together. Good luck with whatever you choose. BEERCHUG1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts