M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little known scope mount made by "TSA" (no, not the travel safety admidistration) and have had absolutely no luck in mounting it parallel with the barrel. Today I stripped it to test if it fit the alignment groove acceptably; it did. Rock solid with flush fit against the side of the receiver and nicely mated to the clip guide in the rear. But I noticed that the mounting hole is low...off by maybe 2mm or so. This explains why when I mounted it with the screw it would never align properly.

So, here's my question. Can I simply elongate that hole in my mount to allow a proper fit? The only other alternative is to fill the hole and re-drill. Any thoughts? By my estimation, the mounting screw does nothing for alignment but only secures the mount to the receiver.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Im guessing that itll be really hard (pun intended) to elongate that hole as the receiver has been heat treated. Is this a SAI receiver? Ive read that your problem is a common one with them.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
...So, here's my question. Can I simply elongate that hole in my mount to allow a proper fit? The only other alternative is to fill the hole and re-drill. Any thoughts? By my estimation, the mounting screw does nothing for alignment but only secures the mount to the receiver.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Many mounts already come with some kind of bolt hole elongation so that the mount can be moved front to back to adjust for variations in stripper clip guide dovetail positioning. You'd just be adding adjustability to the mount, albeit up and down rather than front to back, so go for it! GI2

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,682 Posts
The bolt used on the receiver is often made with a smaller diameter shaft which will allow a certain amount of offset. If the hole in the mount covers part of the receiver hole the mount will have to be modified.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
The bolt used on the receiver is often made with a smaller diameter shaft which will allow a certain amount of offset. If the hole in the mount covers part of the receiver hole the mount will have to be modified.

Yes, to Ted's advice above. I've nener heard of TSA, so I'm assuming it is a cheaper mount, and don't have much to loose if the part is screwed up. Under no circumstances mess with the receiver hole. dozier

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. TSA is mentioned by Different in his coverage of the various mounts made for this platform. They were available through a place in California called Pacific Canvas and Leather...made in Taiwan by contract for TT International.

They are a nice split rail design like the early a.r.m.s #18's which are few and far between and were a lot cheaper. The a.r.m.s. mounts just did not provide me with enough mounting space for the rings to straddle the knobs on my scopes. I pulled these two photos from the web.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.