M14 Forum banner

Scope Mount Ejection Malfunctions

3158 61
First time posting on this forum; I’m hoping someone can help me with my scope mount ejection issue because I’m at a loss. I purchased my M1A new about 18 years ago and it has never been able to reliably eject with a scope mount on it. I put a cheap aluminum scope mount on it back when I first got it, but it caused ejection problems and wouldn’t hold zero, so, I ditched that mount and have been rocking the iron sights up until recently.

Reading the book Black Hawk Down inspired me to do a semi clone of Randy Shughart’s M14. I went with an ARMS 18 mount with an Aimpoint Pro on top. The mount holds rock solid zero, and I love how low it sits, but I’m still getting the same ejection problems as with the aluminum mount I had. I don’t think trying a taller mount will fix this problem because the aluminum mount I had sat a lot higher than the ARMS 18 and it was causing malfunctions just the same as with the ARMS 18.

Machine gun Trigger Camera lens Camera accessory Air gun

To fix this issue, I first tried replacing the ejector spring with a GI ejector spring, which was about ¼” longer than the original, but to no avail. Then I replaced the extractor with a GI one; still didn’t help. Lastly, I tried replacing the op rod spring with a Tubb chrome silicon spring thinking a new/stiffer spring would slow the bolt velocity down some and change the ejection pattern, but that didn’t work either.

This video of Larry Vickers shooting a Norinco M14 shows a good slow mo at 3:08 of what I think my M1A is doing. The brass is bouncing up and out instead of to the side and out. I think if he had a scope mount on his Norinco, it would be jamming up like my M1A. Now if I can figure out how to get it to not do that.

I guess the next thing to try is to cut a few coils off the ejector spring. I’ve read on here that some folks have tried this, but I think this would only make the problem worse and I never did see anyone post that it solved their problems. Never the less, I'll try it because I feel like I'm running out of options.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
Your rifle, along with the one in the video, is functioning exactly as designed.

As the case is ejected from the breech, the oprod knuckle knocks the case forward to the 2 o'clock position. This is perfect cycling.

Unfortunately, it means that your rifle may have issues with a low scope mount. This is why the original M21 sniper rifle had the mount that it did.

M14 pattern rifles that eject to the side (ideal for a low mount), have retarded cycling. The case has cleared the breech before the oprod comes forward. This is caused by several things, such as a tight Match chamber, anemic handloads, etc.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Mine did the same too - called Mr. Clint Sr. (RIP) from Fulton Armory recommended tweaking the ejector spring. Mine required a stronger spring.

What I think was happening is the weak spring was kicking the spent brass too slow and only makes a small bounce on the op-rod and the brass stays in the area too long. Hence it gets caught. A stronger ejector spring will kick the brass violently and really get it out of there before the op-rod moves forward. Something to look into.

fixed my problem. That is my take on it.

·
Premium Member
21,934 Posts
Ejector spring and a new operating spring can be a big help. If your operating spring is less than 15" in length it needs to be replaced anyway. LRB has been marketing really good springs. Last batch I got from them measure 16.25 and seem to handle all my optic solutions very well.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Can't tell you what to do for it.

Had the same issue with SA surplus in my scoped M1A. Never had that issue with anything else but with SA. All the SA is reserved for the PolyTech and the GII.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I had my ejection angle changed from using a schuster bored and ported gas plug. It might be worth a shot if changing/possibly trimming a coil of the ejector spring, and changing op rod spring doesn’t work.

Wolfe “extra power” op rod springs are pretty stiff. It may slow the op rod movement backwards and change ejection angle.

As mentioned, though, this is a sign that the rifle is doing what it should be doing. You need to just find a way to make it work with your scope setup.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My rifle suffered from the exact same issue and I finally came to the conclusion that even if I fixed it, I would never trust the rifle to be reliable, if I needed it to be, in that configuration.

Therefore I went to a Sadlak mount and have not had a single stoppage. Any sadlak, smith, or Brookfield style mount will work right out of the box, typically.

It’s also worth noting, you could try to find a split arms 18 mount. Also, many think Randy Schghart was running a Brookfield mount, so going that way would still be considered correct in my book.

Just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Forum Jester
9,190 Posts
trim the mount on the right side forward

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
To fix it, a higher scope mount is required. I used an SEI mount for a long time on my first M21 SAI and it never jammed. I got bored and put an ARMS 18 on it, and a shorter ejection spring, and now it may jam about 1 out of every 20 rds. I have even seen one ARMS 18 where the owner had grinded away a concave section of the mount where the brass is stuck in this picture. It’s just too tight in that spot.
Air gun Wood Shotgun Trigger Table

An old BPT mount would fix the issue (or a more modern SEI #2006 as well). I might put the old SEI mount back on this rifle.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have never had any problems with my M-1A Springfield scope mount that I can remember. Over three hundred rounds have been fired through my rifle with a scope mounted. My scope mount is higher and allows the brass to eject without problems. The scope mount was made by Springfield Armory.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had my ejection angle changed from using a schuster bored and ported gas plug. It might be worth a shot if changing/possibly trimming a coil of the ejector spring, and changing op rod spring doesn’t work.

Wolfe “extra power” op rod springs are pretty stiff. It may slow the op rod movement backwards and change ejection angle.

As mentioned, though, this is a sign that the rifle is doing what it should be doing. You need to just find a way to make it work with your scope setup.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My bubba-self says, "stick a plug in there". Must be some way. May not be aesthetically pleasing but bubba only cares about functionality. Cut a strip off a pool noodle and jam it into or under the mount. Looks like a perfect recess under there from the pic I see. Make it 2x too big and jam it in there! I know, I know! Ridiculous, eh.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine did the same too - called Mr. Clint Sr. (RIP) from Fulton Armory recommended tweaking the ejector spring. Mine required a stronger spring.

What I think was happening is the weak spring was kicking the spent brass too slow and only makes a small bounce on the op-rod and the brass stays in the area too long. Hence it gets caught. A stronger ejector spring will kick the brass violently and really get it out of there before the op-rod moves forward. Something to look into.

fixed my problem. That is my take on it.
That was my original thought too what might be causing this problem, but I included in my original post that I first tried replacing the ejector spring with a longer/stronger GI spring but that didn't work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I already have the schuster bored and ported plug on order, and that's what I'm going to try next.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My rifle suffered from the exact same issue and I finally came to the conclusion that even if I fixed it, I would never trust the rifle to be reliable, if I needed it to be, in that configuration.

Therefore I went to a Sadlak mount and have not had a single stoppage. Any sadlak, smith, or Brookfield style mount will work right out of the box, typically.

It’s also worth noting, you could try to find a split arms 18 mount. Also, many think Randy Schghart was running a Brookfield mount, so going that way would still be considered correct in my book.

Just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The aluminum mount I had was the same profile as the brookfield type of mounts and it still had ejection problems, so I don't think those mounts are going to solve the problem unfortunately.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To fix it, a higher scope mount is required. I used an SEI mount for a long time on my first M21 SAI and it never jammed. I got bored and put an ARMS 18 on it, and a shorter ejection spring, and now it may jam about 1 out of every 20 rds. I have even seen one ARMS 18 where the owner had grinded away a concave section of the mount where the brass is stuck in this picture. It’s just too tight in that spot.
View attachment 495010
An old BPT mount would fix the issue (or a more modern SEI #2006 as well). I might put the old SEI mount back on this rifle.
The aluminum mount I had was taller like the SEI and it still caused ejection problems. Though, I remember malfunctions occurring less frequently than with the ARMS 18.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts