M14 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my mount by eyeball, scoped it and took it to the range.
When at the range at 25yds I was shooting way far left of the entire target (not even on paper) even with full windage correction dialed into the scope. I got magnetic bore sighter and verified it's accuracy with a rifle/scope that is already sighted in.

In order to get my crosshairs to line up I had to loosen the side mount screw, slide the rear dovetail to one side and crank up the front pad that sits on over the chamber putting a torsion on the mount itself. I rapped the mount with a soft mallet to "conform" it to the receiver and relieve the bending moment applied by torquing all the adjustments. I was able to remove the mount and then re-install it and maintain a pretty close alignment with the bore sighter.

The only problem is that the mount sits canted (as looking down the rifle) left at the rear and right at the front. Other than ugly, what problems can I expect from this poor fitting mount and are there any tricks to straightening it out?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Who made the scope mount? If it does not fit the receiver corectly it will give you nothing but problems. Without more info it is difficult to tell what the problem is. If it is a Springfield mount that is more than likely the problem, those mounts do not have the best reputation.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
What brand mount, rings, scope? What brand receiver?

As you describe the situation right now the least you can expect is that it be way off target past the range that it is zeroed at right now. I would also guess that the mount will shoot loose pretty quickly. If you had to manhandle it like that then either you installed it incorrectly, the mount itself is a piece of junk, or your rifle has a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts