M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there m14 world!

Title says it all... Im in Georgia and would like to try my hand at hunting with my m1a I recently acquired. Now here as some of you know, Georgia woods can be a little thick/dense and I was considering throwing a good scope (red field or something of the sort) onto the rifle for hunting but I got to thinking, best site distance is up to about 100 yards and that's it...so do you guys think I need to scope? I can shoot irons no problem but I've never tried to shoot a dear with irons only..

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
If you hunt cover/heavy cover 100 yards will be fine.
If you are going to get 200+ yard shots than a longer sight in may be in order.
The old rule of thumb was a hit in the vitals figuring a 9 inch circle.
The .308 shoots flat enough to figure how far you can go with out a lot of hold over.

In NY the average shot was under 100 yds but a head shot resulted in a gut or ass hit 90% of the time for the once a year Gunners.
Just an observation.

Edit:
A 4X scope is fine from 20 out to about 100 yds or so. If you choose a Variable (3x9 or what ever) Remember to set to the lowest when in cover.

Reactions: Whatsinaname181

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I have blown more shots screwing around with a 3X9 scope.
Having it on "9" when the Buck stands up close by and all I see is a hair that looks like a pencil.
Or trying to precisely focus the scope to place the shot exactly.
Twice on Nice Bucks I just should have pulled my 1911 and shot the darn things.

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,605 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
For some, the rear peep might not draw in enough light during the dawn and dusk hours(especially if you're under a canopy). That is the one thing I've noticed with my eyes. The sights my socom has overcomes this. On my scout, I put a red dot. That is just me though. You're mileage will vary.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Got a lever action 30-30? No scope (unnecessary). That's ideal for deer hunting in the woods up where my brother lives (Dawson County). He's got a high velocity scoped bolt gun for varmints, but he shoots them closer to the ground and nails 'em crossing a cleared trail like we call a sendero over here in TX.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Nothing wrong with glass at 100yds......you are being responsible and ethical. Hunting deer you mostly likely see them moving in low light situations. Even my brush guns have some sort of optic....except for one 30-30 I have XS sights....but that is for "still hunting" in very thick dense areas.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See that is what I am worried about... the low light and my iron sights. I wonder if a scope will be any better though? I don't know a lot about how scopes work but are they designed to be better in low light? Do they "take in" light or something? hahahaha I'm so dumb I know.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
96% of the time you will be fine with the iron sights. But there will be a few minutes at dusk where you might have a legal shot but just can't quite see it well enough.

I had that in NV two years ago. Granted, it was 178 yards, but we were in the shadow of the mountain at the last few minutes of legal hunting hours. Only after raising the rifle and looking through the scope could I confirm it was a buck, the only legal sex for my tag.

They "take in" more light than your eye because the objective lens is much bigger than your eye. The bigger the objective lens, the more light it gathers, all else being equal. This is especially important on scopes because you lose light in the scope's lenses, though the more expensive the scope, the higher quality the lenses and transition coatings are to minimize this.

I used a Trijicon ACOG Reflex last year in Texas for one of my deer. It was taken at only 50 yards or so, but the 1x magnification of the Reflex combined with having to look through a coated lens, with five minutes left of legal hunting, 25 minutes after sundown, meant for LESS light than the naked eye. I had to sight the animal with the rifle down and then raise the rifle to use to dot, though not able to see the animal anymore. I just popped the rifle up and down several times quickly, like a cartoon, and took the shot. That's the last time I hunt with that kind of optic.

Reactions: Usmc2847

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
...to add onto this, I DO have a 45-70 with a decent bushnell scope on it (belongs to my dad)...however I don't want to use his rifle if I can help it.
that is a great sledge hammer for deer in brush, works well.
is a 1 shot kill even in Heavy brush..

if you get a decent scope it will help in low light a little.
also if you have a scope it helps to make sure deer has horns.
if you do get like a 3x9 set it at lowest power while hunting.
then if deer is far off you can zoom up. but zoom back down
after you look if not taking a shot. good luck
Lruss

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes sir, a lot of people say the 45-70 is the way to go for brush hunting so I may resort to it. I'm just a little worried about missing a shot with a round that big and messing up the meat lol

I'll be scouting out the area in a couple of weeks to see if brush will be a problem and this will determine my rifle choice. Thanks for the advice guys! It really helps.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
i like a 4X 30mm scope for hunting game, does really draw in the light.

Reactions: Dsc

·
Registered
53 Posts
this season i will use my m14 for hunting for the first time. I will run it with a 4-12 Leupold. That's in NY.

Although i am practicing at the range with open sights, i am not where i want to be to trust myself for a clean kill if distances are more than 60-70 yards...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Aimpoints 0-100 (even a little further) are dynamite. Bullet goes where ever the red dot is, so simple, no sights to line up, ultra quick.
I guess the way I feel about it is; if I'm going to put something on top of my rifle, I'd rather have a scope vs an optic because irons do fine for me any day. Never thought about a red dot before though... maybe I'm missing something here GI3DISHOUT

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
The problem with a scope at shorter ranges, esp in heavy brush is that the scope will diffuse any obstructions between you and the the woodland creature. Just an opinion, but under a hundred yards I don't think any optic would be needed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.