174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 with Rapid Z 600 reticle,

Currently its sighted in at 100yds

The adjustments are 1/4" at 100yds

So for 200yds ought to be 1/2" clicks
300 yds should be .75" clicks
and 400yds should be 1" clicks...
What would be the MOA click at 500? 1.25"?

Cartridge is Hornandy .308win SST 150g

From Hornandy website the Ballistics trajectory is as follows
yds Drop
100 0.0
200 -3.6 I calculate to come up 7 clicks @ 1/2" per click
300 -13.2 " " ...............18 clicks (13.2 / .75=17.6)
400 -30 " " ..............30 clicks
500 -55.2 " " ...............44clicks?? @ 1.25"clicks

Please correct me if I am wrong... thanks

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Your math looks good to me. Keep in mind that due to stack-up errors, you may be off a couple clicks, +/-. Take notes while at the range and keep them with the rifle so that you will know how many clicks to come up or down when changing from one range to another.

Rich

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The math is correct. If you start to refer to the adjustment in terms of MOA it will correlate with ballistic charts and be easier to grasp. Good luck that is a good scope.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Quarter MOA clicks means that it takes four clicks to adjust the bullet's impact by one MOA. The number of inches that represent a MOA is different depending on the range to the target.

At 100 yards one MOA is just about 1". At 200 yards one MOA is about 2", at 300 yds 3", and on and on.

So at 100 yards, since it takes four clicks to equal one MOA, each click is about a quarter inch (one MOA = 1", quarter MOA per click means four clicks, four divided in to one inch equals a quarter inch).

At 200 yards, you still need four clicks per one MOA but one MOA is now about 2". So dividing 2" by four and you get one half inch per click.

At 300 yards you get about 0.75" per click and four clicks still equal one MOA but one MOA is now about 3".

The easy way to do this just figure how many MOA you need to adjust and then multiply by 4 ([drop / MOA] x 4).

So at 200 yards you need to adjust for 3.6". 3.6 divided by 2 (thats the drop divided by the number of inches in a MOA at 200 yards) equals 1.8 x 4 = 7.2 so you need to go up 7.2 clicks.

At 300 yards 13.2 divided by 3 equals 4.4 and 4.4 times 4 equals 17.6 clicks

At 400 yards 30/4 = 7.5 7.5x4 = 30 clicks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Fantastic information. Thanks!

44clicks for a Target thats 500yds out sure seems a LOT to do... I did get the Rapid Z 600 reticle to ease that. But I have to re sight in at 200 for the reticle to be accurate according to the instructions. Looks like another trip to the Range... darn! Longest range around is 100.

The Zeiss calc calculates that with a sight in at 200y, it will be 1.8" high at 100y. So I guess I make sure my shots are just under 2"...
http://exbalapplications.com/ZeissWeb/(S(soxyke45yxuys1n52owram45))/ZeissReticleForm.aspx

Once that is confirmed, then the 300, 400, 500, and 600 bars ought to be accurate...

Next question.... how much does the angle play in to point of impact.. ie aiming at a target higher or if your on a hill and the target is lower than you...

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Whether you shoot uphill or downhill the point of impact will always be higher than expected at that particular range, always aim a little low if you are concerned about the angle.

That being said, in most cases you don't have to worry too much about the angle unless you are working with at least 30 degrees. But the greater the range the less angle it takes to cause you problems.

For example
Lets say that your bullet drop is about 30 inches at the target's range. Then the angle will cause the bullet to impact above your point of aim (POA) approx.;

Angle_______Point of Impact above POA
30__________4.0
35__________5.4
40__________7.0
45__________8.8
50__________10.7

There is a simple spreadsheet that I can send you that will calculate the error, all you do is type in the bullet drop at the range you are shooting at and the error in inches above the POA will be calculated. These numbers are close but you need to check them in the field before I would trust them. If you want the spreadsheet send me an e-mail address via private message.

·
Banned
951 Posts
I just finish sighting my rifle...........

Bought a mildot bushnell3200, new sadlak mount, leupold qrw rings. Had a little trouble setting up the mount but got it squared away. Taped a "Dope" card to the front handguard with info out to 500 yds. Used heavy duty shipment tape. Works great...its gets you close...as with any percision shooting you need to dial it in for your rifle/temp/wind.USAF2

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
44clicks for a Target thats 500yds out sure seems a LOT to do...
You're talking about offsetting over 4 feet of drop, so 44 clicks isn't SO much.

Once that is confirmed, then the 300, 400, 500, and 600 bars ought to be accurate...
Maybe it ought to be, but it probably won't be.

As others have said, the published/calculated trajectories are merely good estimates, and YMMV.
The only way to know for sure is to take it out and shoot it at that range.

And you live in Texas and can't find a range longer than 100yds? What the heck?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts