M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen - what do you guys think of the adjustable gas plug ? I have a LRB and only shoot 168 g pills over 41.5 of 4895 but do you think this a worthwhile buy.

Appreciate all answers

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think your load is fine. I use 150 and 168 grain bullets and 4064 and 4895 using Hornady M1 garand data but I installed a garand gear gas plug for safety. Ejection is a bit calmer!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have 1 on a garand and my M1A. I have not done a scientific investigation but I think I have them adj. such that the bolt does not slam into the heel of the receiver. Just going by feel, here.
Ejection has changed from the 5 o'clock to 2-3 o'clock. My left handed brother loves them, for some reason.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Most of my shooting is done with FGMM 175's or their equivalent, so I have the non-adjustable Schuster plug on all of my rifles. It is simply vented and overbored.

Very pleased with them. They work fine with standard M80 ball as well.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,080 Posts
I shoot a lot of 175gr M118LR, I have the Schuster vented/bored non-adjustable plug on a couple rifles and I prefer it for my shooting. noob14s nailed it, a lot of shooters use the adjustable one to run hotter loads and tune their rifle to one specific handload.
m14brian

·
Registered
109 Posts
+ 1 to all the positive comments here. I have one on each of my M14's and would never shoot without them.

Bud

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Gents. I've decided to get one and I will use it, primarily, for fine tuning handloads. If it also reduces wear and tear or slamming then that will be a nice bonus.

I'm also going to experiment with replacing the National Match flash hider with a SAI brake - I am not concerned about the recoil issue but rather I want to see if I can get back on target faster with the brake ( i.e. reduce muzzle climb ).

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I have one on both M1A and Garand. I've never had either plug loosen or the set screw back out. Usually the set screw has a "notch" to give resistance every half turn to prevent backing out. There's a second allen set screw to lock the first one. I've used mine to adjust the ejection, slowing it down slightly so my brass doesn't fly 20 yards in front of the line.

As for the SAI California Brake vs FH , I've fired both and it doesn't have any gain. I think it was designed that way so it would be NRA Service Rifle rule compliant, since brakes or compensators are not allowed.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I'm also going to experiment with replacing the National Match flash hider with a SAI brake - I am not concerned about the recoil issue but rather I want to see if I can get back on target faster with the brake ( i.e. reduce muzzle climb ).
To the best of my knowledge, all of the SAI brakes are reamed out to NM stanards. They don't seem to reduce muzzle climb any more than a flash hider (at least not on a full length barrel).

I switched to the SEI brake, which definitely keeps you on target.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.