M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a schuster gas plug for future suppressed use I want it to be able to handle between standard ball loads to 175gr federal gold medal
My question is, given that range of bullet weight which load do I set it to?

·
Registered
14,796 Posts
The adjustment will most likely be different for full power vs suppressor use. The fixed Schuster plug is perfect for full power, such as FGMM.

If you don't want to fiddle with adjustments, it might be easier to have 2 plugs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What affect if any does ambient temperature have on the gas adjustment? I purchased one of these for my Socom 16 and it was about 50deg F when I adjusted it for some m80 ball at the range. Will I be continually adjusting it each of the 2 seasons that we have here in Texas? Thanks.

·
Registered
14,796 Posts
Socoms in general are starved for gas. They had to make the barrel port larger just to get it to cycle. You really don't need a vented plug unless you are using a suppressor.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I bought a Schuster for my Socom and set it up for my suppressor. I keep a regular plug handy for regular shooting. You will want to adjust it one round at a time until the bolt hold open catches.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Both those loads are supposed to be M1A "safe", correct?

If so, using either one to set up the gas plug should work. If not, set it so both loads work by using the load that needs the most gas pressure and the other load still shouldn't have a negative effect on your rifle (increased wear and tear, I mean).

I have one on my "shooter" M1 Garand but I only shoot HXP or my reloads (150 grain FMJ with 48 grains of IMR4895) so I'm not seeing a need to adjust for one vs. the other.

I need to get off my butt and do some experimenting with different (slower) powders, that's why I bought/installed the plug in the first place.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
There isn't really a setting for suppressed vs unsuppressed because there are no markings on the schuster plug. What to set it for load wise? What do you plan on shooting more? That's a hard question, do you plan on shooting it mostly suppressed? I have one on my rifle only because I was testing a load that was unorthodox. When it comes to a safe range of powders bl-c(2) is about as slow as guys go depending on the projectile. I found that when I had my plug adjusted to to cycle reliably with a 208 amax re17 (not a typo) at 2440ish FPS it would cycle on the same setting with a 175 smk over 43.3 gr of re15 at around 2550ish FPS (if memory serves me right). After one of the former member ran my load on quick load my heavy load was within factory spec for what is recommended for the m14. When it comes down to I don't even know if I needed it. What you want to shoot is within the normal range that is regularly used so you should be fine with a stock plug, unsuppressed. I'm kind of torn on the adjustable plug though, there are so many settings it seems kind of delicate. I might feel a lot better about it if it like 6 strong click settings. After I got it adjusted it was reliable but I still would want to run more ammo through it, and get it real dirty. I have never tried to suppress my rifle, I would be interested to hear your results when to suppressed vs unsuppressed settings vs stock plug vs fixed schuster (if you try that one). When it comes to getting it adjusted Just follow the instructions they are very straightforward and if you have any problems just call schuster. They must of stayed on the phone with me for 30 min answering all of my dumb questions. For my personal situation I'm going to do what kurtc suggested and get the fixed schuster plug and test that one out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I run my suppressed with a regular gas plug shooting m80 ball, with no problem.

also shoot my hand load 178 hornady HPBT @ 2600fps unsupressed with no problem, you don't need the adjustable gas plug to have the rifle function correctly.

if you are fine tuning for accuracy/super hot loads then you might need it, but you are gonna be tuning the gasplug setting every time you change ammo.

my schuster plug is sitting in a drawer not being used.

·
Registered
92 Posts
On a side note for HoLun, have you ever shot your rifle suppressed left handed? As a left hander I'm just wondering how much gas I would take to the face.
No, I have not, but I am getting a lot of gas in the face already, like cup both your hand in front of your face and blow as hard as you can, that much gas, with a scope and mount, might need a face shield to shoot it left handed hahah

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The main reason I'm wanting the adjustable gas plug is so I don't have to worry about damaging the op rod when suppressed, I guess my main Question is if I set it for 175 FGMM, will I be over gassing the lighter bullets and risk damage to op rod when suppressed? are you offering your adjustable plug Holun?

·
Registered
92 Posts
The main reason I'm wanting the adjustable gas plug is so I don't have to worry about damaging the op rod when suppressed, I guess my main Question is if I set it for 175 FGMM, will I be over gassing the lighter bullets and risk damage to op rod when suppressed? are you offering your adjustable plug Holun?
sure, shoot me a PM with offer, I have not used the plug for a long time and i see no benifits for my use, all I got from it was short stroking from setting it to vent too much gas

on the op rod bending, are there even any documented cases of people doing that with off the shelf loads?
because the gas system on the M14 is much improve vs the M1 Garand.
as soon as the gas piston hole move past the gas port, the gas gets shut off to the cylinder, and after the piston traveled half way thru the cylinder it uncovers the vent hole and venting all the gas, pretty much a self regulating gas system. unless you are using the pistons with the "NM" groove cut into them, then gas will keep flowing in the cylinder till it vents.

I do however bore out the gas plug for increased volume, was a simple task on my lathe, unsure if it does anything worthwhile tho.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From my research running a suppressor can create a enough pressure to Bend the op rod.
If you are using the standard gas plug, running the adjustable and setting it to where it functions will prevent this.
Did you have problems with short stroking after you set it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.