M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I've been shooting my EBR (which I LOVE) for the past couple weeks and I noticed that every 10-15 rounds the accuracy would go to hell or I'd get a short cycle. I had recently installed the Schuster gas plug and figured it had something to do with that. I've tightened it up real tight and even used the set screw to lock it in place but continue to have the issue. Now, I'm checking the screw every 5 shots or so to ensure it's tight.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with the adjustable gas plug?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
The threads of the gas plug or cylinder could be out of spec. Did you have this problem with the original gas plug? Does your adjustable gas plug put pressure on the piston and oprod?
This is one reason I use a torque wrench on the gas plug, so I have no doubt of its tightness and also for repeatability. It is not required, but it is nice to have.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
OK. I understand now. Maybe Shuster will replace it if you call them, or maybe they can advise on how to fix your issue. It seems most people have good results from their adjustable plug, so maybe a bad on got though Q/A somehow.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,080 Posts
You could try the Schuster vented/bored plug. It's not adjustable but would offer some decrease in the op rod's travel speed and energy over a solid plug.
m14brian

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hi Guys. I've been shooting my EBR (which I LOVE) for the past couple weeks and I noticed that every 10-15 rounds the accuracy would go to hell or I'd get a short cycle. I had recently installed the Schuster gas plug and figured it had something to do with that. I've tightened it up real tight and even used the set screw to lock it in place but continue to have the issue. Now, I'm checking the screw every 5 shots or so to ensure it's tight.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with the adjustable gas plug?
OP,
For suppressor use on the M1A/M14, you want to vent some gas out of the system to control cyclic rate/ reciprocating parts speed. Mitch WerBell's early Sionics SS-1 M14 suppressor had a gas relief valve on the rear of the can itself to automatically control back pressure/blowback. But the SS-1 did not suppress to a very high dB rating so there was limited backpressure/blowback to deal with. I still run across the SS-1 cans occasionally; there was at least one original right here in the Houston, TX area. The owner used it on his U.S. H&R M14 rifle with early T44E4 stock. But none of the modern cans I am aware of have a valve like that on the SS-1. So you can get high cyclic rate/lots of blowback unless you bleed some gas out of the system when firing suppressed with a modern can. Some of the new cans suppress in the 30s/even low 40s dB range so they create a lot of back pressure/blowback. The adjustable Schuster works for me or you can just drill a small hole in a standard USGI gas plug (1/64" is CMP legal). Schuster also makes a non-adjustable 1/64" ported gas plug but I have no experience with it. ROCKSETT is a 2000F resistant ceramic adhesive cement. It is the thread locker of choice for items that get really hot like QD suppressor mounts/adjustable gas plug parts/etc. Useful Tip: ROCKSETT is soluble in boiling water when you need to disassemble the parts.
Make sure to check bore alignment on your can BEFORE firing; I now use the old-school method of checking bore alignment with a mirror-polished steel dowel of correct diameter for the barrel bore. Also check bullet stability especially with heavy/long subsonic loads BEFORE firing your rifle with the suppressor attached. The BEFOREs are in caps with good reason; I almost POOCHED it. "Different" helped me think thru it via email while I was on a 10 day out-of-state shoot a number of years back. The M3 BREECH SHIELD from the M12 BFA kit is also useful for keeping blowback out of your face. Some scope mounts will accomplish the same thing. Good luck!

Edit: I best add further information before somebody makes a serious mistake: The original Sionics SS-1 can was designed for semi-auto fire ONLY. Automatic fire (or if the rifle doubles) will probably send the second bullet right thru the SS-1 baffle pack destroying the can. Some newer cans are designed for automatic fire; some even have an Inconel blast baffle for reduced gas erosion. But again, the original Sionics SS-1 can was designed for semi-auto fire ONLY.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts