M14 Forum banner

Savage Rifle Model #'s?

4793 Views 16 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  ltdave
Aloha,

I have a question... does anyone know or can help me understand Savage rifle designations?

I am purchasing a Savage 112 (I think) in .223 with a heavy barrel. I see currently the same or similar model is 12 FV. This is where the confusion comes in... I see several places that indicate that 1x series is long action and 11x is short action...

The Savage web site is really no help. Due to the heavy questions that they have received online, they ONLY take written letters addressed to them... This practice seems a bit "cheesy" to me... geez, I only wanted more information that they provide on their "simple" web site.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Aloha,

Tom O.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Hi Dighawaii

I think the model#'s with two digit (10 or 11) are short action only. And the three digit model#'s (111 or 112) are both short and long action. I think the letter suffix represents the stock and what bbl and/or package deals they got and/or detachable mags or not. If you need to know more, let me do my homework and I'll get back to you on it.

Gil

· Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aloha,

I really appreciate all of your help! The reason for this questions, aside from the obvious, is that I purchased a 112 in .223 and trying to find as much information about it as possible.

I hear that this rifle came with a "plastic" stock, and that the newer version has a pillar bedded synthetic stock... since, I have never had a Savage before, this is all new to me!!! What a new world...

Not giving up on Remmy's but I needed a .223 bolt shooter in a hurry and wdiGeorge guided me to this deal.

Will accessories (stocks, etc.) for a 110 also work for this 112? Geez, I haven't even received this rifle yet, and already thinking of how to change things... Yikes! 8O

Aloha,

Tom O.

· Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Gil, fellas...

Looks like I need a bit more help. The Savage arrived today and it appears that this model is a 112 FV in .223 with a heavy varmint barrel. Can you give me any tips on this rifles specs? Is it the same as the 12FV currently on the Savage web page with the exception of the Accutrigger?

This rifle is pre-accutrigger for sure, but it does have a fairly nice trigger as it was delivered...

I have already considered changing the barrel but can I use a barrel made for a 110 rifle?

Also, the action on this rifle looks like a long action for a small action cartrige... Is this right? Is my eyes playing tricks on me?

Geez... I feel like a real "dumb-bell" but don't know where else to turn to without looking like a total blithering idiot... at least here I don't feel foolish in asking... :lol:

Thanks again!!!

Aloha,

Tom O.

· Registered
231 Posts
Hi Dighawaii

You're correct on the Long Action Receiver but, it's a Short Action cartdridge due to the 3 digit model #. They make it in both action. Why don't you shoot the heck out of the bbl first. I think you would be happy on what that bbl can do for you. I think FV has a Bull Bbl and syn. stock.
Enjoy the new Toy. =D>

Gil

· Registered
5,034 Posts
For many years , Savage had one action , the 110 'long' action. They simply used different bolt stops and mag boxes to make it work with 'short' cartridges. The short action is recent.

· Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks M14E2:

At first I thought I had a "hybrid" of sorts, but as I continued my research.. (which many have been so helpful in teaching me about the Savage firearms)... I surmised that this was the case.

The more I play around with the Savage, the more I am impressed! And, I haven't even shot it yet. The quality on the rifle I got is excellent (except the plastic stock is a bit flimsy) and the ability to do your own rebarrel job or make a "switch barrel" gun is outstanding!

Many of the folks I spoke to assure me that this rifle will probably be a good shooter... and I really hope so, but if not, I already have ideas of what I want to do with her...

Man, I am so happy and appreciative to be around some really AWESOME folks!!! Hats off to all of you!!!

Aloha,

Tom O.

· Registered
2,270 Posts
Tom,

If you arent happy with the factory trigger, (I was not with mine) go here,
http://www.riflebasix.com/savage.html it is a great drop in design that is adjustable too!! I had mine so light that if I tried to close the bolt to "" it (empty of course or with a snap cap) with the muzzle up that it would not engage. It allows you to use the factory safety and at the time that I bought mine one for my .223, .308 and mk2 LV .22 the gentlman (name escapes me now) sent me the triggers to test out to see If I liked them and at that point if I did, send the payment.

Needless to say I liked all 3 of them and highly recomend them

just my .02 for the day

· Registered
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aloha Phil,

That is excellent information and heads up! Thank You!

I have been reading up as much information as I can and I even went to the Savage forum and CGN (many Canadian shooters also like the Savage rifle). Information abounds but I just have to look for it... but thanks to information that you folks provided, man, I am getting a head start...

This has been a fun endeavor for me and learning about a new firearm (at least to me) is mega fun... I hope to try out the Savage really soon... then I can decided which way to go... Wish me luck!

Aloha and Thanks again,

Tom O.

· Banned
122 Posts
tom...

my 10FP (black synthetic stock, pillar bedded, floated bull barrel) in .308 will shoot 3/4" groups at 200 yards off a bench with fed GM 168s...

savage ARGUABLY has the best FACTORY barrel in the industry. thats not just me talking but many shooters from the old shooters talk gun board...

the 2 digits are short action and 3 digits are long action as mentioned...

i think you will enjoy this. take it to a nice long range and put some rounds downrange...

congrats

david

· Banned
122 Posts
i got mine with a buddy. we wanted identical rifles and scopes. we wanted to try an 'IROC' type shooting experience. nothing but the shooter to be the determining factor. we gave $385 each for the rifles and then went thru 3 scopes trying to find a decent scope (no leupolds or swarovskis) but to no avail. he went with a 20X tasco SS, and i put an older bushnell 3-9 on mine. we both put sharpshooter ($80) triggers in them and that made a huge difference...

we use them for hunting too which is not a bad thing since its got a 24" barrel and they will both shoot out to 300yd with decisive results.

i later shimmed my one piece scope base 0.030" and put a 36X bsa scope on it and then shot it at a palma any sight match. did really well for having to guess at my initial come ups. i swapped out my leupold rings for some burris signature rings and used +/- inserts for this past year. got to go back to 0s for hunting here pretty soon...

david

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.