M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bought it on sale a few years ago for alittle over $300 new. At that time was half the price of a Remington 700. Affordable long range rifle. I tend to like Harris bipods on the long range rifles. The Nikon scope was on sale & bought two. The other goes to my M1A. Nikon scopes seems to be a good buy for the money.

HH

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I got one of those ...

.308 HB however with the new Accu-Trigger ...

Those triggers are sweet right out of the box ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
288 Posts
Amen for the Savage.

Looks a lot like mine.
I'll need better glass, but it was a pleasure right out of the box.
It's one of the 2 rifles I own with a scope.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Underrated?

I keep hearing and reading these Savages are the most underrated buy out there. They are very accurate with sweet triggers (Acutrigger) and not expensive. How do they shoot?

CX

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
I watched a guy shooting 1/2 MOA groups with his plain Jane Savage 110 @ 200 yards. It was chambered for 223. His buddy had a Rem. 700 in the same caliber and was shooting under MOA @ 200, but not as tight as the Savage groups. The guy with the 110 may have just been a better shot. They were sharing ammo. I've heard, read and seen these rifles shoot, very good for a factory no frills rifle at a darn good price. Now with the new trigger and the barrel tool, just a spanner wrench you can change barrels to a different caliber as long as the case is in the same cartridge type; like a 243/308 case uses the same bolt face and extractor. They sell/sold a lot of them and they are still good shooters at a discount price. IMO, that is why they sell so well.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Very nice link, Thanks!
Also, Savage rifles are kind of underrated, it seems to me. They are usually very accurate.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Sweet baby!

GI2
MJ

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A few years ago I think it was Gun World that did an article on the 110 & called it the best long range rifle for the money. Then a few months later another gun magazine did an article on the 110 & called it the most under rated long range rifle. Might have been Guns Magazine.

Then about two years ago still another magazine took some different factory out of the box rifles & put them in a vice & shot them at 300yds for 3 shot pattern. At less then half the price then the Remington 700 it came in second place to the Remington with 1/4" larger group. There were 5 rifles in the group they tested.

When I bought my 110 I think with tax it was $316. But I figured I wasn't good enough a shooter to ever get better then the rifle.

·
Registered
414 Posts
A shop near me has a Savage .223 short action single shot varmint with heavy barrel for a good price, $350. Based on what you all have said, does this mean I must buy it?

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This forum is sniper city so most want long action for long range shooting. What you mention is small varmit shooting.

JMO

·
Registered
398 Posts
IMHO, I think Savages are as ugly as a red headed step child..................but they are shooters !! My son-in-law has had a couple of them , a 300WSM, .308,.243. with hand loads they are all one holers !!! They are quite affordable. The 300wsm is a fine long range rifle, we shoot at 1,000 yards pretty often, and is does a fine job. I believe they are well worth the money , just butt ugly.

Mike, MC1

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ugly?

Hmmm? OK

I think a tarted up Remington is ugly in some ways. Well maybe some of the people that prace around and expect you to be impressed. I think it's a fun stick and a good buy. Wish I had it in another place and another time.

OLIVEHELME
MJ

·
Registered
414 Posts
huntinghawk said:
This forum is sniper city so most want long action for long range shooting. What you mention is small varmit shooting.

JMO
.223: It's not just for varmints anymore. With heavy bullets, 80 or 90 gr. you could go 1000 yds. Also, short actions are stiff and more rigid= more accuracy. A 308 cal short action is better than the same rifle in long action. BTW most PD snipers engage their targets at less than 100yds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts