M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Always looking for a new reason to buy a rifle, last weekend I was admiring this shiny new Savage sniper rifle chambered in the new killer calibre. Seemed to weigh in at +15 pounds unloaded, a $2000.00 item, and with factory ammo costing $120.00 a box- what more could anyone ask? GI1

I've been trying to come up with a practical use for this firearm (I mean besides 900M target shooting) in the present-day, modern world- can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I had a chance to look at one up close in a gun shop over in Vacaville a few weeks ago. Beautiful rifle and it does make one smile, however, that 2 grand buys the rifle and leaves a big space on top for another couple of grand worth of optics.

The only practical reason I can think of for purchasing one is to open my life up to a new relationship as 'she who must be obeyed' would just plain not understand.dance2

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
900 meters? Ive had both mine to over 1300, and my AIAW to 1580. Trust me they are a reloading proposition. A very fun rifle to shoot though. So,,, Are you gonna get it?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Why do you need a reason, other than , its there. Ive been fooling around with this cartridge for a while, there is something almost awe inspiring about wackin steel plates( hanging) so hard that it bulges them. My 308 makes a little ting noise at the same range. I say do it, but im biased

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I had a chance to handle one several weeks ago and they were gonna let me have it for $1550 out the door and the Mrs. just gave me that look... and you married guys know that look

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
900 meters? Ive had both mine to over 1300, and my AIAW to 1580. Trust me they are a reloading proposition. A very fun rifle to shoot though. So,,, Are you gonna get it?
Not right now- see the other posts about the Mrs... On my wish list though. The max approved shooting range available to me is 900M, but good to know the max range of the round. Also scary!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Wel sweets, I dont know if youve seen them, but savage came out with a less expensive Lapua, cant remember the model, ill find it . Also remington has the police rifle in the Lapua, my other 338. Ive seen them for around 12-1400. Its just as accurate, its a round that can really stretch its legs. It is the round that the brit sniper took out 2 in Afghanistan, at over 2700 meters. My friend was telling me the other savage looks more of the classic rifle, and is around 1100.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wel sweets, I dont know if youve seen them, but savage came out with a less expensive Lapua, cant remember the model, ill find it . Also remington has the police rifle in the Lapua, my other 338. Ive seen them for around 12-1400. Its just as accurate, its a round that can really stretch its legs. It is the round that the brit sniper took out 2 in Afghanistan, at over 2700 meters. My friend was telling me the other savage looks more of the classic rifle, and is around 1100.
BRIT sniper? If it was the same world record shot I'm thinking of, that was a Canadian sniper!

Thanks for the suggestion; I was also thinking of going the other way, eventually, and getting the same rifle but in a more affordable-to-shoot calibre.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have it but chambered in .308 and my reason was uuuhhh i want it period.only thing is that here in south Florida there's no range for it only 100 yrds and that gets boring

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Sweets, the canadian was from princess patricia's rifles, sorry, I dont remember the proper name, that was with a Mcmillan 50 caliber. The brit was more recent and it was with the british 115, accuracy international. 3 rounds , 2 dead. He was a corporal of horse, sorry, I dont remember the unit. If you do decide, with proper authorization of course, my wife is the same, to get one, they are fun to shoot. I need a PO# to spend over 40 bucks with my wifeRNGR2 Hope you can, good luck.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Looked at the Lapua 338 and its cost to shoot. Went with the 338 Edge same
ballistics and brass is made from 300 Ultra opened up to 338. Using the Savage
300 Ultra and with easy barrel replacement have both. With just a quick change of the barrel nut.
Read a great deal on Long range hunting web site about this. http://www.longrangehunting.com/
Shooting 1300 yards and clean kills on deer, bears and elk...with a 300gr bullet both Sierra and Berger bullets....
Looked very impressive as a long range rifle......
Now they have come out with a 338 AI in that Edge.....Adding even more range
and power......

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Nomad, I think norma came out with the 338 norma, designed it for the 300 gr sierra. Ive read of folks going with the 338 RUM also. I stayed with the lapua because when I got my accuracy international, I also recieved 300 lapua cases. Prvi Partizan now has a lapua load that I saw for 60 bucks locally. About half price, Ive reloaded for my 2 since the start, unfortunately, my wish of being born rich, didnt come true. So 125 bucks for 20 rounds is out of the question, I have also read good things about the Hornady brass. anyone of them you go with they are fun to play with.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hammer1, the statement was that I was going with the Edge because it at the time was something that I could afford and can shoot two different rounds....with the Savage rifle.
With the 338 Rum its a under powered to the 338 Edge.
Sorry for the miss understanding.....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Nomad, no worries, does it keep the same basic case( change the shoulder or anything), or is the edge just a necked up ultra? Either way, it still has to be a hefty cartridge, whats the ballistics that youre getting like? I love the big boomers, just being curious. What barrel length are you using?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts