M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
A couple years ago, a gunsmith who lives near me had a contract with Sarco. He received rifles from them in all various stages. New USGI barrels were installed and the rifles reparked at a minimum. He did work on hundreds of 1903A3's for Sarco, rebuilding the rifles for later sale by them. I, of course, don't know if the rifles in their current inventory are those he reworked, but it's possible. If so, the quality will be just fine, but it is not an M1903A3 in original condition.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Recovered Drill receivers?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't own one, but I was in the market for a 1903 about a month ago and Sarco was one place I investigated. They didn't have any 03A3's in their shop at the time but the 03A4 that they put together seemed very well made. The guy I spoke with said they build the 03A3's themselves as parts come in and there is currently about a 4 month wait time. It is definitely built off of a drill receiver if that matters to you.

Related to drill receivers, I did hear an interesting piece of info related to them, can't remember where I was though. I was talking with one of the guys who did a lot of the receiver inspections prior to the rebuilds for Rock Ridge Machine (I think). He said out of the drill receivers they bought in bulk, only about 30-40% or some very low number were actually deemed ok to reactivate. I was surprised how low it was, but there was definitely some quality control that went into the process. The 03A4 replicas I've seen have all been really good.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Related to drill receivers, I did hear an interesting piece of info related to them, can't remember where I was though. I was talking with one of the guys who did a lot of the receiver inspections prior to the rebuilds for Rock Ridge Machine (I think). He said out of the drill receivers they bought in bulk, only about 30-40% or some very low number were actually deemed ok to reactivate. I was surprised how low it was, but there was definitely some quality control that went into the process. The 03A4 replicas I've seen have all been really good.
I bet what he meant was that only 30 or 40% were cosmetically eligible for reactivation. Most of the drill 03A3 I have seen would be fine to shoot, but might not look that great at refinish time after reactivation. GI2

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
A few years ago I purchased one of the Pacific Mini-series 03A3 rifles from them. It was Smith Corona rx and actually all SC part except for the barrel. It came with a certificate of authenticity and a few stripper clips. It was a good looking rifle. However, I'm a shooter so I took it to the range. With the sights centered it was not even on the target. To get it on paper I had to adjust the rear sight all the way to the left it was barely on the target with center hold. It went back.

Reactions: budster

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm curious how well they handled the return. All things considered I think I'm gonna give one a try. Keep in mind I'm out here in CA, a decent 03 will run me north of 1k.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As luck would have it i was at the right place at the right time and found a Remington 1903 while picking up a Colt LE6920. It was the FFL owners gun and he brought it in just that morning to sell. The stock was just replaced with a C stock from Boyds but was otherwise all original. I'm hoping she shoots well, the bore is shiny and crisp but there were some cleaning rod scratches near the muzzle. It was $ 700. I thought that was fair.
Should have seen the look on my wifes face when I told her I got not one but two new rifles. Will post photos once there out of 10 day jail.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Bolt action rifles.

I never bought anything from Sarco. Always seemed high to me.
I got two 03a3's, a Remington, and a Smith Corona. One was real cheap, the other not so much. With dollar cost averaging for both - it's not so bad. I also have a chrome plated drill rifle, a Remington that I have maybe $125 in it so far. It is not complete. Some day - I don't want to put any money in it, looking for free parts for it. Odd thing is these two Remingtons are only about a thousand serial numbers off from each other. The two are part of my Colt 1928 semi-auto Watercooled collection/display.

They shoot quite nice. Never shot at targets more than 300 yards away.

Reactions: budster
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.