M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a line on a 1,000 case of the SB 79 for $500. Its been opened but all 1,000 rounds are there in their boxes. Anyone know anything about this ammo? How can I differentiate it from that weird 112g low recoil stuff they developed for the CETME?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
My SB was Berdan primed... ('82, I think...) so if you are buying it for the brass, it's not such a good deal.

·
Administrator
17,403 Posts
On the top it should read;
20 cartuchos
Cal. 7.62 x 51
NATO ESPANOL

On the front side it should read;
Cargados en
The year

Spain, '68, [ SB ], Berdan, three star crimp with green primer sealant. SB 7.62x51 68 (Santa Barbara)
Spain, '80, [ SB ], Berdan, three star crimp with green primer sealant. SB 7.62x51 80

DI5

Reactions: hammonje

·
Registered
3,891 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Santa Barbara brass is usually headstamped SBS (Santa Barbara Systems) which is a subsidiary of General Dynamics, along with the year and NATO symbol. This is second source ammo used by the DOD for CONUS training purposes. Made in Spain. I've shot a ton of it and it's good ammo. The cases seem to be just a little bit yellower in color than LC brass, and it might be a little softer but I reload all brass 5 times and toss it. So far I've experienced zero problems with this brass or ammo.

·
Administrator
17,403 Posts
Santa Barbara brass is usually headstamped SBS (Santa Barbara Systems) which is a subsidiary of General Dynamics, along with the year and NATO symbol. This is second source ammo used by the DOD for CONUS training purposes. Made in Spain.
The new headstamp is SBS, but the original thread was about the military surplus ammunition from 1979 with the SB headstamp.

DI5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts