M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Xmas is coming up soon and finished birch stocks are a great gift for someone who is hard to buy for. I plan on refinishing some big reds, a few TRW/ Overton, and if I have time some M1 Garand stocks as well. These stocks take about 2-3 weeks to refinish and It’s not really about the money. After shipping and the countless hours of labor I put into them, it’s just something I enjoy doing honestly. I will post them in the PX in the next few months for those interested.
Thanks, Dave.
Musical instrument Wood Gas Idiophone Metalworking hand tool

· Registered
3,988 Posts
with you on the hobby.
Wood Metal Shotgun Fashion accessory Ammunition

Xmas is coming up soon and finished birch stocks are a great gift for someone who is hard to buy for. I plan on refinishing some big reds, a few TRW/ Overton, and if I have time some M1 Garand stocks as well. These stocks take about 2-3 weeks to refinish and It’s not really about the money. After shipping and the countless hours of labor I put into them, it’s just something I enjoy doing honestly. I will post them in the PX in the next few months for those interested.
Thanks, Dave. View attachment 494250
would love to see that Black and White one when done !!!

· Registered
140 Posts
Wow guys!
Y'alls work is really great. Doug's and Wess's are amazing also. I love to see the newly finished stocks reveal their beauty! Some folks may just want the aged look which is very nice also, but I do lean to the newer and finished look.

I have started my first two stocks. I stripped a walnut and a birch. I need to find and old birch somewhere to practice on before doing the one I have. One of them will go on the gun I have coming. I hope y'all will share pictures of some of the work as you go through it. Some of the older threads have lost their pictures.

Thanks again for these pictures and the post.

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow guys!
Y'alls work is really great. Doug's and Wess's are amazing also. I love to see the newly finished stocks reveal their beauty! Some folks may just want the aged look which is very nice also, but I do lean to the newer and finished look.

I have started my first two stocks. I stripped a walnut and a birch. I need to find and old birch somewhere to practice on before doing the one I have. One of them will go on the gun I have coming. I hope y'all will share pictures of some of the work as you go through it. Some of the older threads have lost their pictures.

Thanks again for these pictures and the post.
Sam,
Go to eBay or tree line for some beater stocks. You can usually get them for under $50 shipped. It would be very good practice starting out.

· Registered
115 Posts
I am not trying to hi-jack this thread, I would like to get my Argentine BM-59 stock to look and feel like my M-1s, M-1 Carbine, and M-1A stocks. Any advice and recommendations on stripping off the glossy finish and giving the BM-59 stock the look and feel of my other rifles is appreciated. I have a good supply of denatured alcohol and not looking to remove all of the battle wounds from the wood, they are part of the rifles history.
Thanks in advance.

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Diesel,
First off let me say there are 50 different ways to strip and refinish a stock. Personally I wouldn’t bother with denatured alcohol or acetone with that one. I feel like it would end up making too much of a gooey mess. I would strip it, you can get soy gel stripper that’s easier on the wood or you can go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and get a standard paint stripper that will work as well. After stripper does it’s magic, spray with degreaser to deactivate the stripper and clean off remaining residual with a bristle brush. Once stripped and dried, lightly sand the stock especially in the areas that the stripper didn’t get. Lastly wipe down with your oil of choice for your finish. Who knows there may be a nice grained pattern underneath that brown glob. Hope this helps.

· Registered
115 Posts
Diesel,
First off let me say there are 50 different ways to strip and refinish a stock. Personally I wouldn’t bother with denatured alcohol or acetone with that one. I feel like it would end up making too much of a gooey mess. I would strip it, you can get soy gel stripper that’s easier on the wood or you can go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and get a standard paint stripper that will work as well. After stripper does it’s magic, spray with degreaser to deactivate the stripper and clean off remaining residual with a bristle brush. Once stripped and dried, lightly sand the stock especially in the areas that the stripper didn’t get. Lastly wipe down with your oil of choice for your finish. Who knows there may be a nice grained pattern underneath that brown glob. Hope this helps.
Stripped with Citrstrip, wiped down with acetone, Steel wooled with 0000 and first coat of Tru-Oil.
Looks better already. I kept the Battle rifle look since my BM-59 will never be a Safe Queen.

· Registered
140 Posts
Steve OH that is a great looking stock!

warp2Diesel, your stripping and finish work looks good and fits the rifle, great job.

lumpywolf223, saw one of your stocks in the PX. You do great work. I look forward to your remaining stock-ing stuffers!

You guys are good!

· Super Moderator
3,990 Posts
The hobby of hobbies [refinishing stocks]….. Can’t wait to get in my new house and get my shop set-up. Hopefully in February 2023! I hand picked the stocks below [just a small sample] at Fred’s before Jack sold most of his inventory to Treeline. The first stock below is one of my all time favorites in my personal collection. Every stock I hand picked at Fred’s had to be individually negotiated for price [Jack won sometimes and I won a few times]. This stock was very dirty and I remember Jack asking why I wanted this stock? I always took special lights and my jewelers magnifiers and could often see certain things in the dark warehouse. I refinished this stock, and it has no stain (I just stripped it and used my methods) and added coats of teak oil. You never know what you have until you finish!

Good luck to all the stock refinishers out there!

Plant Pumpkin Wood Calabaza Winter squash

Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Tree Grass

Musical instrument Air gun Trigger Amber Wood

1 - 17 of 17 Posts