M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, actually a couple......

Hi Bill, wanted to know how many different parts that SAK manufactured for the M-14 Rifle? I know that they made barrels and op-rods, but did they make bolts and triggergroups also? Any other parts? Sights? Thanks, Hawk

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I don't know of any trigger groups or bolts. They didn't make any sight knobs, they are always marked. They MAY have made some of the small items which are unmarked. I know they made quite a few spare parts for the .50 bmg over the years.

Speaking of bolts, there is a bolt I have never seen. It was made in very limited quantity during the late 1970's at Watervliet Arsenal. Don't know how it is marked. I spoke to a guy who worked on the project. They made a few hundred under emergency production.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Bill..... I thought that they mighten not have made trigger groups and bolts, But wasn't sure so I figured I'd ask someone who would.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,
I have a gas cylinder that has a stamping on it . I pulled it off a M-14NM SAK barrel but I'm not positive it stands for Saco and lowell. It has a
S T L , The T is in a circle I think it's the trademark symbol. I've been meaning to ask about it.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
As I am pretty sure it is not Saco, I don't have a clue as to who it is. One thing I have experienced during my years in this business is as contracts are put out, often small unknowned machine shops get the item. The next time the same item is put out for bid maybe a few years later, somebody else underbids the last bidder.

Most likely during the period of 1958 thru 1964 the bulk of the spare parts contracts were taken up by the 4 main producers, or their subcontractors. As you get into the height of the Vietnam war and into the years of the mid 1970's there might have been 3 or 4 contracts awarded to different or same contractors. Because most 1960's and later contracts have no easily manufacturers' recognizable names or codes, the mystery as to who made what when will continue for quite some time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts