M14 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading today about the Criterion reproduction of the SAK heavy weight (medium wt) barrel. It reminded me that I have an un-used original govt contract SAK, and although I don't remember the part number off the top of my head, I do know this... It is stamped NM between the gas cylinder threads and front sight, it is not chrome lined, it is heavy profile and i THINK it is dated '81.

Can someone tell me about the heavy SAK match barrels from the early 80s? What was the military using them on? What about this particular barrel would motivate Criterion to make a replica?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Can someone tell me about the heavy SAK match barrels from the early 80s? What was the military using them on? What about this particular barrel would motivate Criterion to make a replica?
For the record, SAK only made standard weight and medium weight USGI barrels. (Not sure what year they stopped making match M14 barrels).

The only heavy profile USGI barrel is the NOA barrel made back in 1992-93 only. (various commercial heavy barrels were made, but only 1 USGI with a drawing number)

The National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice allowed the first 'medium-heavy' barrels on competition M14s in 1977. They were initially made by commercial entities like Douglas barrels back them. The SACO-Lowell or SAK medium weight USGI barrel had a drawing number date of June 1981, so most of them that you see are dated 1982-83 but I'm sure other years exist. They were likely used primarily on competition M14s, but some were used on M21 sniper rifles as well. The Technical package for the M21 was apparently revised in 1984 and might have included the medium weight barrels...but I am still waiting for validation on this.

I don't have a SAK medium weight barrel, but I do have a 1983 dated General Dynamics medium weight NM barrel on my M21 replica. A military armor hand inscribed the install date of '28Feb86,' but I don't know if it was on an M21 sniper or a match M14. The throat erosion is 0.9, so I think it was on a very lightly used M21 sniper before they were decommissioned post-1988, but that's just a guess.
The drawing number was '9345206"' regardless of manufacturer, and its located on the bottom the GD barrels at 6 o'clock.

Here's my 8-69 dated SAK NM barrel on my XM21 replica. All SAK barrels from the late 1960s thru 1970s were standard weight barrels.
(Drawing number "7791262")

Here's my XM21 replica on top wtih SAK standard weight barrel, and below it is a my 'late' M21 with medium weight barrel:

Criterion made the reproduction of the medium weight USGI barrel to fit a niche for guys who want a new medium weight barrel for similar projects, instead of a used barrel.
USGI 1983 General Dynamics barrel on top, below it is the Criterion reproduction SAK barrel. Stamping location varies b/t the two barrels, but pretty close otherwise.

Hope that info helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does help. And i understand that these are technically medium weight barrels which is why i put medium in parenthesis. I called them heavy because i thought this was the heaviest military contract barrel used but i guess i was wrong. I will post the all the numbers it bears when I have my hands on it again. How common are these barrels?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts