M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/20/sickened-by-service-more-us-sailors-claim-cancer-from-helping-at-fukushima/
---------
When the USS Ronald Reagan responded to the tsunami that struck Japan in March 2011, Navy sailors including Quartermaster Maurice Enis gladly pitched in with rescue efforts.

But months later, while still serving aboard the aircraft carrier, he began to notice strange lumps all over his body. Testing revealed he'd been poisoned with radiation, and his illness would get worse. And his fiance and fellow Reagan quartermaster, Jamie Plym, who also spent several months helping near the Fukushima nuclear power plant, also began to develop frightening symptoms, including chronic bronchitis and hemorrhaging.

“I get so angry. They said as long as the plume was avoided we would be fine."

- Navy sailor Jamie Plym

They and 49 other U.S. Navy members who served aboard the Reagan and sister ship the USS Essex now trace illnesses including thyroid and testicular cancers, leukemia and brain tumors to the time spent aboard the massive ship, whose desalination system pulled in seawater that was used for drinking, cooking and bathing. In a lawsuit filed against Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), the plaintiffs claim the power company delayed telling the U.S. Navy the tsunami had caused a nuclear meltdown, sending huge amounts of contaminated water into the sea and, ultimately, into the ship's water system.

“At our level, we weren’t told anything,” Plym told FoxNews.com. “We were told everything was OK.”

Now, Plym, Enis and dozens of others wonder if their service to their country and to Japan has left them doomed.

“I get so angry," Plym said. "They said as long as the plume was avoided we would be fine. But we knew then that something was going to happen. Common sense tells you that the wind would blow it everywhere. You don’t need to be a nuclear scientist to figure that out.”

San Francisco Attorney Charles Bonner,who is representing allegedly cancer-stricken sailors, initially filed a federal suit in the Southern District of California more than a year ago on behalf of a dozen sailors. The lawsuit was initially dismissed, when the court ruled that any ruling would hinge on interpreting communication between the Japanese and U.S. governments, which could violate the separation of powers. But Bonner is amending the suit to add new allegations that would fall under the court's jurisdiction. And the number of plaintives has more than quadrupled as more service members come forward with radiation-related illnesses, he said.

“They went in to help with rescue efforts," said Bonner, who plans to refile the suit on Jan. 6. "They did not go in prepared to deal with radiation containment.”

The plaintiffs don't blame the U.S. Navy, which they believe acted in good faith, Bonner said. It was the plant's operators who sat on the meltdown information during the crucial hours following the March 11, 2011 disaster, he said.

“TEPCO pursued a policy which caused rescuers, including the plaintiffs, to rush into an unsafe area which was too close to the [Fukushima nuclear power plant] that had been damaged,” Bonner charged in an April filing now being updated to add more plaintiffs. “Relying upon the misrepresentation regarding health and safety made by TEPCO, upon information and belief, the U.S. Navy was lulled into a false sense of security.

“The officers and crew of the U.S.S. Reagan (CVN-76) and other vessels believed that it was safe to operate within the waters adjacent to the FNPP, without doing the kinds of research and testing that would have verified the problems known to the defendant TEPCO at the time.”

Nathan Piekutoski, 22, who served aboard the USS Essex, which was in the same deployment as the Reagan, said sailors had no choice but to trust what they were told.

“They did say it was safe at the time,” Piekutoski said. “We had to take their word for it.”

Piekutowski says he suffered from leukemia and, while he is currently in remission, Doctors have told him that he may need a bone marrow transplant.

“Within a few months I started getting all these weird symptoms," he recalled of the months following the disaster response. "Night sweats. Not sleeping. I started losing a lot of weight.

“It’s one of those things," he added. "You’re angry that it happens but we had to go. It was our duty. I joined the military to help people in need.”

A spokesperson for the Department of Defense declined to comment on the pending lawsuit, but told FoxNews.com the Pentagon has been monitoring and collecting data on radiation exposure in the region.

TEPCO officials did not respond to requests for comment. But a recent admission before members of the Japanese press on Dec. 12 during a meeting at the Tokyo Press Club, former Prime Minister Naoto Jan said the first meltdown occurred five hours after the tsunami, not the next day as reported at the time.

Bonner alleges that the statement means that the Japanese government knew radiation was being leaked and did not inform the U.S. Navy.

“They knew there was an active meltdown and they deliberately hid it from the public as well as the Navy,” Bonner said. “Those sailors went in there totally unaware and they were contaminated as a result.”

Plym says she is prepared to have her symptoms question in court, should the case go to trial. But with so many U.S. sailors coming forward, she believes justice will prevail.

“People will say that out lawsuit is fake and that we are doing this for money, but it’s really about getting the correct information out there,” Plym said.

So not only did the Japs cover up the meltdown, which resulted in thousands of sailors potentially being exposed to radiation, but we also have two ships which were likely quite contaminated...and have continued to remain in service. Potentially exposing thousands more.

And these are the reasons that isolationism isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I don't have an exact number, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000 sailors serve aboard the Reagan. Of these 5,000 sailors, some 50+ have been diagnosed with cancer. They connect these cancer cases to Fukushima through the sea water that was pumped aboard the ship and desalinated.

I'm not an oncologist, but if 5,000 sailors showered in and drank radioactive water, I would think many more of them would see the effects. As a nuclear powered ship, I'm convinced that there are radiation detectors everywhere and that there would have been no way radioactive water could be pumped aboard the ship without detection.

What is the real story here?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have an exact number, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 5,000 sailors serve aboard the Reagan. Of these 5,000 sailors, some 50+ have been diagnosed with cancer. They connect these cancer cases to Fukushima through the sea water that was pumped aboard the ship and desalinated.

I'm not an oncologist, but if 5,000 sailors showered in and drank radioactive water, I would think many more of them would see the effects. As a nuclear powered ship, I'm convinced that there are radiation detectors everywhere and that there would have been no way radioactive water could be pumped aboard the ship without detection.

What is the real story here?
Those are just the people that have had symptoms arise already. It can take years for cancers to get to the point someone notices them.

While I'm sure there are red detectors, you have to think, they're focus is likely on the reactor and subsystems. Why spend the money on monitoring other systems when there is no real reason too. If the reactor leaks, everyone will know it, and if operating somewhere that is contaminated they should know already and be prepared to test. Which is exactly what didn't happen here.

·
Banned
951 Posts
Very Sad...NEVER TRUST ANYTHING FROM GOVERNMENT....IT HAS BECOME CORRUPTED....From employment numbers to healthcare to the NSA....TRUST NOTHING FROM DC . Im sure they were told they would be fine, go ahead a help out, were behind you...yea...

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well apparently the Navy diid end up having to decon the ship. Navy pretty mich confirmed exposure.
-----
Navy sailor Lindsay Cooper knew something was wrong when billows of metallic-tasting snow began drifting over USS Ronald Reagan.

“I was standing on the flight deck, and we felt this warm gust of air, and, suddenly, it was snowing,” Cooper recalled of the day in March 2011 when she and scores of crewmates watched a sudden storm blow toward them from the tsunami-torn coast of Fukushima, Japan.

The tall 24-year-old with a winning smile didn’t know it then, but the snow was caused by the freezing Pacific air mixing with a plume of radioactive steam from the city’s shattered nuclear reactor.

Now, nearly three years after their deployment on a humanitarian mission to Japan’s ravaged coast, Cooper and scores of her fellow crew members on the aircraft carrier and a half-dozen other support ships are battling cancers, thyroid disease, uterine bleeding and other ailments.

“We joked about it: ‘Hey, it’s radioactive snow!’ ” Cooper recalled. “I took pictures and video.”

But now “my thyroid is so out of whack that I can lose 60 to 70 pounds in one month and then gain it back the next,” said Cooper, fighting tears. “My menstrual cycle lasts for six months at a time, and I cannot get pregnant. It’s ruined me.”

The fallout of those four days spent off the Fukushima coast has been tragic to many of the 5,000 sailors who were there.

At least 70 have been stricken with some form of radiation sickness, and of those, “at least half . . . are suffering from some form of cancer,” their lawyer, Paul Garner, told The Post Saturday.

“We’re seeing leukemia, testicular cancer and unremitting gynecological bleeding requiring transfusions and other intervention,” said Garner, who is representing 51 crew members suing the Tokyo Electric Power Co., which operates the Fukushima Daiichi energy plant.

“Then you have thyroid polyps, other thyroid diseases,” added Garner, who plans to file an amended lawsuit in federal court in San Diego next month that will bring the number of plaintiffs past 70.

Senior Chief Michael Sebourn, a radiation-decontamination officer, was assigned to test the aircraft carrier for radiation

The levels were incredibly dangerous and at one point, the radiation in the air measured 300 times higher than what was considered safe, Sebourn told The Post.

The former personal trainer has suffered a series of ailments, starting with severe nosebleeds and headaches and continuing with debilitating weakness.
He says he has lost 60 percent of the power in the right side of his body and his limbs have visibly shrunk.

“I’ve had four MRIs, and I’ve been to 20 doctors,” he said. “No one can figure out what is wrong.”
He has since retired from the Navy after 17 years of service.

Even as the Reagan was steaming toward the disaster, power-company officials knew the cloud of steam they were releasing — in order to relieve pressure in the crippled plant — was toxic, the lawsuit argues, a claim that has also been made by the Japanese government.

Tokyo Electric Power also knew that radioactivity was leaking at a rate of 400 tons a day into the North Pacific, according to the lawsuit and Japanese officials.

“We were probably floating in contaminated water without knowing it for a day and a half before we got hit by that plume,” said Cooper, whose career as a third-class petty officer ended five months after the disaster for health reasons.

The toxic seawater was sucked into the ship’s desalinization system, flowing out of its faucets and showers — still radioactive — and into the crew member’s bodies.

“All I drink is water. You stay hydrated on that boat,” said Cooper, who worked up to 18 hours at a time on the flight deck loading supplies onto a steady stream of aid helicopters for four days, all the while drinking out of the two-gallon pouch of water hooked to her gear belt.

By the time the Reagan realized it was contaminated and tried to shift location, the radioactive plume had spread too far to be quickly outrun.
“We have a multimillion-dollar radiation-detection system, but . . . it takes time to be set up and activated,” Cooper said.

“And then we couldn’t go anywhere. Japan didn’t want us in port, Korea didn’t want us, Guam turned us away. We floated in the water for two and a half months,” until Thailand took them in, she said.

All the while crew members had been suffering from excruciating diarrhea.
“People were s- -tting themselves in the hallways,” Cooper recalled.
“Two weeks after that, my lymph nodes in my neck were swollen. By July, my thyroid shut down.”

Cooper, the single mother of a 4-year-old girl named Serenity, says her biggest worry is that she will get cancer. Her own mother died recently of breast cancer at age 53.
“This isn’t about financial gain,” Cooper said of the lawsuit. “This is about what’s going to happen while I’m sick, and then after I’m gone.”
“I worry,” she added, her voice choking, “because I have a daughter. And I’m scared".

·
Registered
196 Posts
Lindsay also has a BBC interview. Not sure when it airs though. Her dad was so proud when she joined. We all were. Now its our duty to make sure our govt doesn't abandon her and other sailors.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
So the US Navy doesn't know how to deal with radiation, on a nuke carrier no less. This was a total command failure, how many NBC techs do they have on board? They're on a ship for crying out loud, monitor and move to stay in the clear, issue and use protective gear, the crew was walking around in ash clouds? Heads should roll.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So the US Navy doesn't know how to deal with radiation, on a nuke carrier no less. This was a total command failure, how many NBC techs do they have on board? They're on a ship for crying out loud, monitor and move to stay in the clear, issue and use protective gear, the crew was walking around in ash clouds? Heads should roll.
Exactly !

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad I live in the east! I hope the people on the west coast have been taking some iodine pills.
Do you eat store bought salmon? Tuna? You may not realize it, but a lot of people consume products from the pacific regularly. Pretty much all of the salmon farms in Alaska are contaminated by this point.

They STILL have radioactive water leaking into the ocean after all this time.

How long until currents bring the radiation into the Atlantic? To think it will only effect the Pacific is pretty naive.

·
Registered
143 Posts
These ships were built with nuclear war in mind, they should have radiation detectors and decontamination equipment at the ready. Do they mean to tell us that they don't even test the sea water they take on board? At the first sign they should have gotten the hell out of there.

·
Registered
252 Posts
They still hate us for Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Payback is a bitXh.
Well I was stationed in Japan for 3.5 yrs. Although I never hated the Japanese people, I understood that during WWII they were brutal to captured allied prisoners. I will never forgive them for that because they have never admitted to what they did!

Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Well if there had never been a Pearl Harbor there might not have been Nuclear weapons used on them! Besides the Allies and the Germans, the Japanese had an active Nuke Weapons program and they would have used them on us in a heart beat!

Sorry, I don't do revisionist history nor were the Japanese victims!

·
Registered
392 Posts
you could always bomb them back..........

id advise everyone for funsies get a Geiger and go over your groceries and other items........you might be surprised.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I was stationed in Japan for 3.5 yrs. All though I never hated the Japanese people, I understood that during WWII they were brutal to captured allied prisoners. I will never forgive them for that because they have never admitted to what they did!

Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Well if there had never been a Pearl Harbor there might not have been Nuclear weapons used on them! Besides the Allies and the Germans, the Japanese had an active Nuke Weapons program and they would have used them on us in a heart beat!

Sorry, I don't do revisionist history nor were the Japanese victims!
Keep in mind the numerous accounts from POWs in the pacific of cannibalism. Sometimes on a massive scale.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts