M14 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a SAI NM M1A and have fired 89 rounds through it, I had a couple of FTE's and a lot of brass shavings in the bolt- chamber area. I have read the threads concerning the failure of SAI extractors, so went ahead and purchased a usgi extractor just to be done with it. Today I pulled the extractor (thanks sailor45 for the instructions) and had to break the extractor spring to get it out, then couldn't believe what I saw. The socket was so deep it covered the head of the spring, and the entire back of the extractor pin was ground down. I couldn't believe I was looking at a $2000+ rifle. UnbelievableGI9

I will share a couple pictures

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I..... ugh.... can't find the words to respond to this.......

Yea I can, ..... Use their warranty?

No Seriously, that is messed up. DISHOUT PEODGIF CENSOREDGI

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry to hear this about your rifle. Springfield has an excellent warranty service and turnaround. Just call them up and explain whats going on. It probably shouldnt have happened in the first place but sometimes people over look things, we're all human. lol.. Let us know what springfield does..

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I have an SAI extractor that looks almost identical. Came out of a new Loaded after only 40 rounds. Many SAI extractor problems just like ours. That's why many advise to immediately replace a SAI extractor with usgi.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Looks like SAI was tired of their bolts spitting extractors and put a little extra fitting on your..so it wouldn't come out... the problem of overseas made parts.. is out of spec or oversized parts.. Looks like QC is going down down at SAI.. Bummer.. I think M1a's Are overpriced..but at the same time the dollar is so week.. 2000 today is like 1000 6 years ago.. everything is going up except for our paychecks.. get a good USGI replacement if you can find them.. B2B

·
Registered
335 Posts
No excuse SAI. Sort of like the gas piston I found in my rifle with a machining step omitted. The tail wasn't bored. Or like the flash suppressor bored off center.

·
Registered
266 Posts
After many hours of research and consideration I am so glad I never bought a SAI M1A... For the money and warranty I still think M1A's are garbage, I'll pay more for a custom hands down!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just changed the extractor today, so haven't fired it yet. This is my first military style rifle and I love it so far, I read extensively on the pluses and minus's on the SAI rifles and knew this (or any M14) would be a rifle that would require repairs and tweaking to keep it running reliably. What I didn't expect was to see unfinished grinding on parts, and not being able to disassemble without breaking parts. I still like the rifle, just very disappointed in the care shown in the building of it. If only it was built with the care of my Sako's

·
Registered
637 Posts
That sucks.... So far I haven't had any issues with my SAI extractor during the 100 rounds or so I have sent down range. I have every intention of replacing it with a USGI extractor down the road. Are there any commercial extractors being manufactured that rival USGI quality? Also how difficult was it to swap out the SAI extractor? Any special tools needed?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad to hear you've had no problems, as far as replacement I purchased a M10 garand cleaning handle and followed the instructions on the M14 related stickies thread. Mine was especially difficult because of a scope mount, but was able to do it. As I said the main thing that made it difficult is the fact that the spring and roller had to be be broken to remove the original

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fortunately $40 from RAparts.com and problem solved. I am new to M1A/M14's but and very apprciative of the great info found on this site!

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
After many hours of research and consideration I am so glad I never bought a SAI M1A... For the money and warranty I still think M1A's are garbage, I'll pay more for a custom hands down!!!!
I'd urge shooters with good M1A's to keep the ones they own. I will. But going forward I'm likelier to pick up a few more Garands than M1A's. James could be right about where SAI elects to go in the near future. It's much more a pistol producer/marketer now and SAI's rifle business without USGI parts is at a crossroads.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's a horror show. That's what happens when you source parts from overseas and have little or no control over the quality. Trust me, in the business I'm in I run into this problem almost daily. Fortunately I'm in a fashion/trend business and QC problems are far from critical.

When you make a fashion ring that's supposed to be a size 7 and comes out a 7.1, or a necklace that's supposed to be 21" and it's 21.2", it's really not a big deal. But when it's a mechanical part, especially when placed in a firearm, it's a huge problem!

My personal business dealings with overseas manufacturers is the reason I didn't buy an SAI, and chose the custom USGI build route. And the same reason why all my semi-auto pistols are older German made Sig-Sauers, my revolvers are older model S&W, my semi auto .22 pistols are old Ruger MKIIs, and so on...I simply try to avoid buying newly manufactured firearms...most are made with overseas cast parts and MIM parts etc.

Anyone look at a new Ruger 10/22 and see the crap they put put this thing together with these days??? It's unbelievable what they have done to this American classic rifle...lots of plastic, hideous cast parts from who knows where and so on. The Springfield M1A is going down the same road. Really sad.

I see on many forums today lots of problems with new S&W, Ruger, Springfield, Sig products. Those posting all talk about the wonderful warranties and customer service. Who cares? A turd is a turd. I don't care if they will fix it every couple of months when it breaks and they are nice to me on the phone and pay for shipping etc. I don't want a turd in the first place! Especially when I'm spending over a grand. I didn't buy the thing to use the warranty. The warranty should be a given and not have to be used with only a few exceptions, not as the rule.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I have went to he range with shooters who sent 10-15 rounds down range in an hours time. At even 20-30 or 40 rounds during a range trip you might not see a problem for a couple of years with a newer SAI. My regular shooting pals and myself send 150-200 rounds down range in a single session and I shoot at least once and maybe twice a month. You'll need some pretty reliable parts if this is your SHTF gun. I have changed out literally every part on my SAI except the bolt, receiver, and barrel, with usgi. No problems to report at this time. I will say that I like the receiver and do not intend on changing it. The bolt will go TRW and the barrel will be a Jon Wolfe medium weight (soon). I agree that the warranty doesn't impress me, I certainly wouldn't send my rifle back to the same company that couldn't get it right the first time. Everyone makes mistakes but some make too many mistakes too many times, we're talking about a device that explodes in front of your face. I would also go with a custom builder in the future, the risk are just unacceptable with the current quality control issues.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I had one like that in my Socom. The hole was drilled too deep on the extractor. SAI put a longer spring in to compensate. I had nothing but FTEs until I changed it out. I stripped the bolt and replaced all the guts while I was at it. It's all good now.

Easier than sending it back to SAI for something so minor, although I have good results in sending them in for warranty work.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Q. Does SAI know about all these issues?
Q. Would it be easy an in the best interest to solve these problems by SAI?
Q. Why isn't SAI correcting the problem?
Q. Is SAI using the Lifetime Warranty to cover its known flaws?
Q. If an When SAI goes out of business...how good will a Lifetime Warranty be?
Q. How many future costumers...like me...has SAI lost because of the questions above having to be asked in the first place?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Q. Does SAI know about all these issues?
I'm sure they do, but probably not the exact number of them.

Q. Would it be easy an in the best interest to solve these problems by SAI?
Depends, who's "best interest" are we talking about? I've heard of rifles coming back in worse shape after sending them in or having to go in four times to resolve one problem.

Q. Why isn't SAI correcting the problem?
It's a numbers game; how many fix it themselves vs. how many send their rifles in. Like the OP, most just replace the small parts themselves since SA Inc. would say, "Send your rifle in, it's covered under the lifetime warranty." Who wants to send their rifle in for a 5 minute fix?

Q. Is SAI using the Lifetime Warranty to cover its known flaws?
Speculative but I personally believe they are. Or they're using "Our rifles are only guaranteed to work with our parts". Also, unless you have them or a "qualified" gunsmith work on your rifle you start voiding the warranty (and they decide who is and isn't qualified). For instance, as Rawnerves rifle sits now, only the bolt, barrel and receiver are covered under their warranty.

Q. If an When SAI goes out of business...how good will a Lifetime Warranty be?
About as good as Premier Reticles "Lifetime Warranty" on Leupold, Schmidt and Bender, Zeiss, etc. scopes they did reticle conversions on before they started manufacturing their own scopes... Absolutely worthless.

Q. How many future costumers...like me...has SAI lost because of the questions above having to be asked in the first place?
Obviously not enough that they care.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
part

I would be seriously looking into the bolt dimensions as well, suppose the extractor wasn't the out of spec part, and they just fitted it to the bolt, that means the bolt is out of spec in the extractor assembly hole.....perhaps other dimensions on the bolt are out as well .....

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.