M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My two SAI's both came with USGI trigger groups. One is a TRW and one is a Winny OM-N, both with HRA guts. Everything else on them originally was SAI and the manufacture date is 2007 & 2008. Is SAI still using USGI trigger groups in the new production rifles; and if not, how long ago did they quit using them? Was it the luck of the draw, or did all of the SAI rifles manufactured in 2008 and before come with USGI trigger groups. I know the older models had mostly USGI components until the available supplies of USGI parts dried up. If SAI is still using the USGI TG's, where are they finding them? I've been eye balling the TRW for one of my LRB M25s and feel kind of guilty, like a organ harvesting thief or something. I promise not to leave my rifle in a bath tub full of ice water though.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I believe it's luck of the draw. I bought a standard in 2006 serial 186,*** and it came with an HRA USGI trigger group.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I got a SAI standard built in 1999, and its all GI with exception of the trigger housing, FS, and receiver of course.

the trigger housing is marked " 7267030 - I " which is SAI, but the hammer " SA C5546008 " and safety " SA C46015 - 9 " are GI I believe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
USGI Trigger Groups

I have two 1994 SAI standard models...one has a USGI trigger group and the other is SAI...two months apart. As far as I can tell, the rest of the parts on each rifle is USGI except the receivers.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I have a 2009 and know several others who do. No usgi parts on any of them.

·
Registered
788 Posts
My Oct. '07 M1A has an all USGI TG. There were reports before and after that period of SAI parts only, so it appears that they use whatever they have at the time and that there is no clear cutoff date for the use of USGI parts.

Eagle 1

·
Registered
637 Posts
Where would I look to see if mine is USGI or not? I can't find any markings on my trigger assembly....

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look on the left side of the trigger housing and you should see some numbers and letters just below the top edge of the housing. Next, **** the hammer and look on the hammer face for numbers and letters. Then, open up the trigger guard and look at the safety bar from the right side of the trigger group. If the safety is marked, it is difficult to see because it is normally partially obscured by the bottom of the trigger housing safety slot. Write the numbers and letters down and someone here will be able to identify it for you. Those are the only markings visible without complete disassembly the TG. And honestly, I don't remember if the spring housing or the trigger guard has any markings.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PS,

You may need an optivisor/magnifying glass and decent light to see anything unless you are youthier than me. DI2

·
Registered
246 Posts
I went and checked out my standard that I got right before the presidential election and a scout I bought used on this forum from the early 2000's, I think. Both had USGI TGs. I thought that was pretty sweet once I found out.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went and checked out my standard that I got right before the presidential election and a scout I bought used on this forum from the early 2000's, I think. Both had USGI TGs. I thought that was pretty sweet once I found out.
Kinda like the suprise in the cracker jacks.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Gotta be luck of the draw.My '03' std came with a SAI TG after recbuilding by SAI it was returned with a HRT TGGI6

Well, That and a bit of complaining!LOL

·
Registered
246 Posts
Kinda like the suprise in the cracker jacks.
Heck ya, I need to pull them apart and give them a closer look over. How does SAI mark their parts compared to the old SA?

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I bougth an SAI NM Garand in the mid 80's and it came with a cast trigger housing, but USGI guts. I don't think there were many Garands around back then. It's really a tack driver. I shoot it a bit better than my M1A supermatch.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I bougth an SAI NM Garand in the mid 80's and it came with a cast trigger housing, but USGI guts. I don't think there were many Garands around back then. It's really a tack driver. I shoot it a bit better than my M1A supermatch.
Same here. It's the one my friend who was doing promotional work for SAI gave me the receiver and got Glen Nelson to NM build into a perch-belly birch USGI replacement stock. I have no idea who made the 6-groove barrel but it's still real good after a lot of rounds and really shines at long ranges. Early-mid '80's it was about the only Garand available to a civilian after you got your DCM one-per-lifetime.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Heck ya, I need to pull them apart and give them a closer look over. How does SAI mark their parts compared to the old SA?
I'm not sure because I don't have any SAs or SAIs to look at. All five of the TGs I have for reference are either Winny, TRW or HR. I'm sure someone will have the info for you though.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
SAI makes many of their parts (or they're made for them) using investment casting. I think that most SA parts were forged, but some may be investment cast also. It's a process that can be used to make many non-stressed parts more quickly and economically. SAI, of course uses cast receivers but not sure if its the same process as their TG's.......................

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
my first m1a came in 2007 and has a usgi trigger. i bought two more a couple of years later that dont have usgi triggers which arent as nice. i will say though that the non usgi trigger have a tighter lock up for some reason. i just need to get them match tuned or something because they are a tad mushy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts