M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the hole just in front of the front sling swivel on Springfield Armory Inc. synthetic stocks there to mount a bipod stud? It appears to be recessed on the inside around the hole as well. I can't think of any other reason for it but I have heard of folks drilling a hole to mount a stud so maybe it won't work for that. Thanks!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Is the hole just in front of the front sling swivel on Springfield Armory Inc. synthetic stocks there to mount a bipod stud? It appears to be recessed on the inside around the hole as well. I can't think of any other reason for it but I have heard of folks drilling a hole to mount a stud so maybe it won't work for that. Thanks!
That is not my understanding. I thought it was a relief hole...

·
Registered
540 Posts
That is not my understanding. I thought it was a relief hole...
plus one on that,i wouldnt mount a bipod stud on that hole.i have read that it will crack the stock in that area.I always mount mine on one of the sling swivel holes.I then inlet the stud and glass it in.I have had pretty good luck with it.if you need to use a sling swivel,I use a QD swivel on the bipod retainer.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
That is the vent hole for the gas bleeding from the gas lock. If you ever watch someone fire an M14, look at that area and you will see a puff of smoke.

Fulton Armory (among others) makes a mini rail that replaces the sling swivel at that location, there is a 'trough' milled in it to allow the gas to escape as well.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh okay! Thanks for the information. I have seen the mini rails, I will go that direction then. Glad I asked!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts