M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i always thought that SAI scout squad rifles didnt come with a chrome barrel. i just bought one used on GB and i looked down the barrel with a light and it looks like chrome. did some have a chrome barrel? am i just looking at a standard barrel with lots of "shiny" light? it looks silvery bright.

is there a way to tell if the barrel is chrome?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Chrome lineing will have a dull grey apperance.

SAI has never offered a chrome lined scout barrel. However if it has been re-barreled it may be.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dull grey? well i be. all my M1a's have a bright shiny inside. i always thought that meant it had chrome. i think i need a lesson in this. more input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
2336USMC:

thank you sir for the link! i think that is what i am dealing with. the m1a was made in 1999 and has gone through 2 different owners in the process so anything is possible. i believe it is chrome. i will post pics if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You will find that people here are always interested in the different idiosyncrasies attached to this great platform. Awaiting further pictures.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i admit that i am a newbie at this. obviously i cant tell the difference between a chrome barrel and "in the white" barrel. the first pics are of my SAI scout and i thought looking down the barrel with a light and seeing a bright shiny inside meant that it was chrome........(.but what do i know.? ) any way here are the pics. please excuse the white grease.

here are some pics of my SAI standard, which i always thought was chrome, but who knows>>? i cant tell:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can anyone tell me if one or both of these chambers is chrome? i dont know when SAI stop making their guns with chrome but i have 3 standard M1As that are in the 225 - 245 number range. they all appear to have dull grey chambers and when i look through the barrel with a light they are bright and shiny (although that might not be the way to determine).

the Scout i have pictured (the first one at the top), i simply cant tell. the "standard" w/ wood stock, i would say is chrome. any expert or non expert advise or input would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess i could. i was hoping to be able to tell from the chamber instead of taking all the flash hiders off my guns.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks blacktail, but that link has already been posted in this thread. what would YOUR diagnosis be for my pictures if you had to make a guess?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
It is hard to tell from your pics. But in my opinion they are all standard chrome molly in the white. The darkness of the exterior of chamber has been darkened due to fireing. The scrapes and different colors in those areas indicate non chrome. Plus date of manufacture.

A very good indicator would be the makers stamp on the side barrel. USGI = chrome in most instances, Criterion could be either.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I'm not an expert, but both of your bbls look to be chrome molly as best as I can tell from the pics.

All of my SAI M1A Bush rifles look very much like your pics.

Note: I had a Socom (my oldest boys now), and had initially thought it to be chrome lined, but was able to compare it to another rifle I have that sports a Criterion chrome lined bbl, as well as 3 different M14 service rifles at work.

Not an expert evaluation by any means, but more of an "eyeball" type of thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts