M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Scout Squad (black syn stock) back from SAI after sending it in for what I originally thought was an issue with the op-rod but turned out to be a bad safety bridge that was impinging the tail of the firing pin.

I posted extensively about the issue before sending it back (http://m14forum.com/m14/102415-sai-op-rod-machined-incorrectly-pics.html).

Springfield sent it back to me and I picked it up today.

SAI replaced the receiver and barrel, indexed it, and test fired it.

Here is the old safety bridge:

and the new one:

Here is the old barrel:

and the new one:

and some pictures of the firing pin tail:

In the end I am not very happy. I have not fired the rifle since getting it back, but I am disappointed at SAI for not replacing the firing pin, the op rod, and the bolt that were dinged up by the crappy original receiver.

It also looks like the barrel is over indexed again. I dont know if it is an issue since it seems over indexed by the same amount as it was last time, but it is certainly not in line with the notch at the bottom of the receiver.

I have emailed the photos of the parts I thought should have been replaced along with the barrel and receiver to SAI (to be forwarded on to the repair dept) to get their opinion (mostly for the firing pin tail).

At this point, I feel as though I should get a whole new rifle without any damaged components.

Does it seem to you guys that my concern has any merit? And, more importantly, does the safety bridge look ok to you?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Give it a good wringing out at the range and then you'll know more about what you have. If it plays as it should I would call it good but in time I would buy a spare USGI chromed firing pin to have as a spare. If it doesn't play well then that's another matter entirely and I would be on the phone with them asking for more instructions on shipping it back to them.

I would also keep an eye out for a Chinese op rod and replace the op rod. I bought a Polytech oprod take off from one of our forum members who had it for sale, who resides in California, strictly as a spare. They are excellent one piece forged op rods just as were the USGI TRW's. I also bought an excellent condition chrome lined Polytech take off barrel from one of our members in Texas. The for sale (Bargain Board) here has some really good deals from time to time.

7th

·
Registered
242 Posts
I hate having to send stuff back. But the alternative of living with something that ain't right is a no-go. I think a range test should determine the next move. My SAI M1a's have been good but other firearms "bought new" have been returned more than once to get them right. Getting them right. It's all that matters.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Maybe I am being a little callous but quit starin at your rifle and go shoot it. Thats what you bought it for didnt you. You wont know if it works till you get it out to the range and shoot a couple hundred rounds through it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Misaligned barrel, feed ramps also misaligned.

Dear Sir, a misaligned barrel will also leave the bullet feed ramps misaligned. This could cause a number if problems. A barrel that is not installed correctly and is as far off from center as this one, is not acceptable. czjet

·
Registered
409 Posts
Sorry for your troubles. I would ask for a RMA again and ship it back. I have no doubt that SAI will do right by you. The quicker you get it shipped the quicker you will get it back. I know how disgusted you must feel and believe me, I feel your pain. Dont let frustration get the best of you. Once you have your baby back all fixed, it wont be quite so bad.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
My bet is that you will have to move your front sight way over to one side (right side I think) due to the over-indexed barrel. Did you mention the over-indexing and misaligned feedramps when you sent the rifle back the first time?

Just my humble opinion, but I'd want to return it un-fired to Springfield ASAP. They should make it right.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Just an FYI you can't judge barrel indexing by looking at the center of the feedramps. Glad to se SAI took care of you.
Why not? What reference point would you use if not the center of the feed ramps?

BTW I'm asking because I don't know the answer to my question.

·
Registered
284 Posts
AA9126.... Definitely take it out and shoot it and let us know how it goes. Like has been said before you cant tell what its going to do until you actually go shoot it.

If you send it back now without shooting it it would be like having someone work on your car then telling the mechanic that it wont start when you never put the key in it and cranked it over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.