M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up this used SAI and the receiver bridge looks funny to me. My Norinco and LRB have receiver bridges that are pretty rectangular. This SAI has what looks like an angle ground into the back side. Any one know if this is normal? If someone has a sec to compare it to thier m1a it would be greatly appreciated as I have an opprtunity to get my $ back if it's been bubba'd.

SAI:

Norinco (LRB looks the same):

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am no expert, there are many on this forum though, and i can honestly say that looks odd. I know the safety bridge on shirley doesnt look like that. Has she had any shooting issues?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
It's a little hard to tell from the pics but it looks like a piece of the safety bridge has been ground or knocked off. The part that actually meets the firing pin looks OK, but the other side looks to be damaged. Just an observation from looking at the pics. I'd check with a gun smith before I went much further. Also check the bolt for damage since that's the part that most likely damaged the safety bridge. Another possibility is that someone took a dremel tool to it and got a little carried away.

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
It's bubbad, a member recently showed us the same thing. He said sai did it. His set up was eating up firing pins. He wound up having the receiver replaced by sai. Search around for the gents thread and send him a pm see what's up.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I located a couple of postings by this member ...

It spoke primarily of firing pin wear ...

There seemed to have been a lot of photos within but they have all
been deleted ...

I'll go and get the links and insert here shortly

Six

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
You da man six! I'm sure the member will have all the answers for the op. I wonder if the receivers are the same vintage,

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I've seen enough that I'm not going to risk it... it's being returned.

·
"Death From Above"
11,646 Posts
Be sure to be stern with them on the fact that you want the receiver changed. They may just send it back and say it's safe to shoot. Lay it on thick!

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,108 Posts
SAI Bridge

I have two SA M1A rifles in the shop right now. One is a high number 234XXX and the other low 80XXX. The high number receiver bridge looks exactly like the one pictured and the low number is a little less radical, but still has the angle on the back side. I'd suggest that this is probably just a result of the machining technique used. It doesn't seem to effect the rifle or the bridges functioning and I have heard no reports of bridge failures due to this machining.

I'll stress again the receiver bridge is not a particularly high stress area. While it has certain necessary functions, bridge failures are extremely rare. Military tech manuals state that a crack in the receiver bridge is acceptable and does not render the rifle unservicable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts