M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a scout with the standard springfield rear sight. It had a ton of play laterally and vertically. I peened the sight base and was able to remove the lateral play, but I can't get the vertical slope out.

The sight is...poor quality

I am thinking about swapping it out for a SEI NM rear sight. They are expensive, but from what I've read, worth it.

Will I have any problems putting this on my scout?

Regards

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
NM Sight

The SEI NM rear sight assembly is a very good unit. However, installing one on a short barreled rifle is a bit of overkill. The problem with your existing sight can probably be fixed with a new rear sight cover. This part applies downward pressure against the aperture. They get bent out of shape smetimes and become loose fitting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think its an overkill because it would be more accurate than the rifle needs?

I'm not impressed with the stock sight. Its either too tight, or too loose. The elevation knob never seems to be tight to the shaft and has some play.

I guess I could look for a GI unit.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Do you think its an overkill because it would be more accurate than the rifle needs?...
First off, welcome to TFL!

Depending on how good your eyes are and/or how old you are, you may have difficulty focusing on the front sight, especially since it's closer to your eye than on the standard barrel. The smaller aperture of the NM sight will make it somewhat easier to see the front sight. I've installed two of the SEI NM sights and have been very impressed with their quality.

However, a much less expensive fix would be what Ted Brown recommends.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcoming.

I was able to tweak the rear sight cover to get out the vertical play. My understanding when reading the Scott Duff book, was to flatten the two humps to increase the downward force. I ended up decreasing the radius of the big section, then increasing the radius of the hump section. Now the sight is nice and tight.

I did a couple things this week.

Rear sight tweeking
Vortex Flash Suppressor
GLFS dovetail with stock NM front sight
Sadlak spring guide
I removed the scout rail and fit a Fulton hand guard.

I also unitized the gas cylinder and front band. My miller dynasty (TIG) made it an easy job. I didn't paint the assembly, just installed it and went to the range yesterday and it shot good. It was about 12 clicks to zero @ 100 yards.

Last night I pulled it down to paint. Shot it with black BBQ paint. Put it together this morning and it took more effort to install the GC on the barrel then I remember using to take it off. I went back to the range today and it was taking 33 clicks to shoot zero @ 100 yards. I also had 4 failure to feeds. All from the right side of the magazine. Didn't matter which mag I shot from. The cartridges were bent 5 degrees or more.

I pulled it apart this afternoon and I had paint on the ID of the GC. I removed the paint and polished it up. It fit much better on the barrel, needing just a small tap to get the GLFS to 6:30.

Do you think the tight fit would cause the low shots?

Now to figure out the cause of the failure to feeds....ideas? I know the barrel isn't index perfectly because the front sight sits towards the left side on the dovetail.

This gun has seen about 120 rounds

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking back, when I got home from the range yesterday the windage knob was loose, so I don't know 12 clicks for sure.

I did find a thread (http://m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=49445&highlight=shoots+low) that mentions the SEI GLFS for 18" barrels is taller than standard, and it intended to be used with a GI front sight. The scout comes with a NM taller sight. I pulled the vortex off and slipped the brake on, sure enough, the GLFS is about 3/32 (eye balled) taller than the brake.

I figure
27" sight radius, 1min of angle is .008"
23" sight radius, 1min of angle is .0068"
21" sight radius, 1min of angle is .0062"

so if its off by 3/32 = .9375, that would be equivalent to 15 clicks.

hmmm. I might order another GLFS so I can keep the NM sight.

Still need to figure out the failure to feed.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
NM Sights and Accuracy

NM sights will not make a rifle more accurate. They may help allow you to shoot it better, but NM sights have their limitations too.

The smaller apertures restrict the amount of light passing through and reduce the sight picture. This is fine when shooting targets at known ranges, but not good in the field or when rapid target aquisition is desired.

Short barreled Scout type rifles were not designed to be target rifles. They are very handy for some types of hunting and defensive use. Smaller apertures don't help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm not looking for a match rifle. But doing small things here and there to improve accuracy isn't going to hurt.

I got the sight buttoned down, so I'm going to roll with it for now.

Bigger fish to fry.

New GLFS is on the way.

I need more ammo :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
I also unitized the gas cylinder and front band. My miller dynasty (TIG) made it an easy job. I didn't paint the assembly, just installed it and went to the range yesterday and it shot good. It was about 12 clicks to zero @ 100 yards.
Im a welder myself, do you mind posting up how you did your welds to keep anything from warping? I normally do pipe and structural so Im not too keen on TIG anymore but I know people with the equipment. Also how did that Fulton handguard fit? Thanks

Travis

·
MGySgt USMC (ret)
7,066 Posts
Please note I'm in almost total agreement with Ted on this one, but I do have a caveat.

Many of my older shooters find at least the .595 hooded apertures makes shooting their rifles much easier and faster to acquire the target. So I modify standard RS bases to use with these NM apertures for those folks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts