M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I joined the forum 6 months ago but this is my first post.

I have a Springfield Armory 'Loaded' M1A and I love it. I realized that a majority of the NM parts are already on the rifle. I want to upgrade the aperture and get 1/2 MOA on both knobs to get a full NM rifle (or closer to it). I currently have 1/2 on Windage and 1 on elevation, what do I need to change out? Please let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hello, You need to get the (Hooded NM aperture). That is what will give you your 1/2 inch MOA adjustment.. No need to replace the pinion.. Midway, brownells, WCS, M14 parts and m1garand.com are a few sites that sell them. Average cost $35.00
Have fun and play safe...

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
The NM hooded aperture ramp might (probably will ) need 'fitting' for your sight base.
The width of the rails on the NM ramp are purposely a little over-sized so they can be stoned to give a wobble-free fit into the grooves on the base. Just use a small flat fine-grit knife sharpening stone - go slowly and test often.

The aperture of the hooded sights usually come either .0520 or 0.0595 - I've got the 520 and think the 595 would be better. The 520 gets difficult to use in dim light, and I don't think its smaller size gives any more precise aiming.

The NM ramp can be used in a standard base, but the base won't allow the sight to be lowered as much. If your 100 yard elev is at least 10 clicks UP from bottom you should be OK.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Two rifles I've added the hooded apertures to the standard rear sight base. The hood on one did not go down far enough, causing the point of impact 4" too high at 100yds. The rear sight base notch for the aperture needed to be ground down to allow more clearance.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Does that apply for the Standard as well? If so, I'd like to install it on mine.
Yes and no is your answer.. The NM hooded aperture will/could?? fit the standard base with fitting as stated above.. BUT, the base will not give you 1/2 inch windage adjustment.. The NM base and windage knob are different from the standard 1" MOA rear sights.
If you want to have the 1/2" MOA NM rear sights in both directions you can buy an NM upgrade kit from Windy City Sourcing for $79.00. It's listed under "New" in the M14 stuff. It gives you a new REPO NM base, windage knob and the hooded aperture for your rear sight. You then use your elevation knob and pinion with your sight shield and you are good to go.. Poor mans NM rear sights made to order.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Ability of the NM Hood rotating provides supposed change of .5 moa for elevation, but as mentioned Std. issue sight base threaded at 32 lines per inch versus NM which is 64 lines per inch meaning finer adjustment, .5 instead of the full 1moa. The wind drum on the right hand side is where the machine threads are. I have true NM sight, but truth of the matter being .5 versus 1moa and to realize the advantage requires that you be a real "hard holder." I like the hood part and fitted rack in the sight base so it does not bounce around, but I use a lens in the hood which is a big help for my eyes.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I have true NM sight, but truth of the matter being .5 versus 1moa and to realize the advantage requires that you be a real "hard holder." I like the hood part and fitted rack in the sight base so it does not bounce around, but I use a lens in the hood which is a big help for my eyes.
I agree...at 600yd line I still don't utilize the 1/2 MOA elevation adjustment. My "wobble zone" is probably an honest 2 minutes. The Bob Jones insert is the most important use for the hooded sight.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
The rear sights are "pesky" to put back together.
Here's a video to show how to do it correctly.

Although this video won't help you with fitting a NM aperture to a sight base.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovrAzjrqPDs[/ame]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.