M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 051xxx National Match SAI rifle (confirmed as such by SAI, 11/14/89 manufacture) this past week. It has a standard weight NM barrel on it. The newer NM rifles from SAI come with a medium weight NM barrel, the same weight as comes on a loaded. My question is at what serial number range did SAI switch over to a medium weight barrel? Anybody know? Was it at the same time as the loaded came out which I'm pretty sure was 1996/1997?

·
Super Moderator
11,033 Posts
Picked up a 051xxx National Match SAI rifle (confirmed as such by SAI, 11/14/89 manufacture) this past week. It has a standard weight NM barrel on it. The newer NM rifles from SAI come with a medium weight NM barrel, the same weight as comes on a loaded. My question is at what serial number range did SAI switch over to a medium weight barrel? Anybody know? Was it at the same time as the loaded came out which I'm pretty sure was 1996/1997?
I think the loaded model came arround in 95.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
The newer NM rifles from SAI come with a medium weight NM barrel, the same weight as comes on a loaded. My question is at what serial number range did SAI switch over to a medium weight barrel? Anybody know? Was it at the same time as the loaded came out which I'm pretty sure was 1996/1997?
The M1A National Match model was advertised with a medium weight barrel in the 1992 factory catalog. So, the change from standard profile to medium weight NM barrels occurred around serial number 068000.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Is the standard weight NM barrel a 'match' barrel or is it more along the lines of stamping it NM because of the other modifications done to the rifle?

·
Registered
271 Posts
The Nelson built SAI NM rifle I used to own (serial no. 24xxx) came from SAI with a med. weight barrel. That would have been earlier than the advertising switch in the catalog....

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Then it's more accurate to say that by 1992 using standard profile NM barrels to build Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A National Match rifles had discontinued.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Med weight barrel n.m.

I have s/n 011820 with a oversize bedded stock and an unmarked barrel except for a very neat clean n.m. 4 inches from barrel end?
I also have s/n 046474 with a m14 walnut bedded stock and a sak 5/83 med n.m. barrel.
Marked 26978. Does this mean both med weight barrels were added some time after coming from sai. Thank you for any info, Canamrev.

·
Registered
10,910 Posts
I have s/n 011820 with a oversize bedded stock and an unmarked barrel except for a very neat clean n.m. 4 inches from barrel end?
I also have s/n 046474 with a m14 walnut bedded stock and a sak 5/83 med n.m. barrel.
Marked 26978. Does this mean both med weight barrels were added some time after coming from sai. Thank you for any info, Canamrev.
Not necessarily. Prior to about 2004, anything is possible with SAI. They used whatever barrels and stocks that were available. Just look at the options on the label of early green and blue boxes.

You can call SAI Customer Service to see what records they have on your rifles.

As of about 2004, when the sources of USGI parts dried up, SAI has pretty much standardized their models and barrels.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well you made me look, the standard weight barrel National Match barrel on the 051xxx is marked
Geneseo,Il .308 on the right hand side of the barrel back by the receiver. I'm up to 11 factory SAI M1As now and all of have SAI markings somewhere on the barrel. All have serial numbers under 100,000(sorry I love the USGI parts those come with). The only SAI factory M1As that I've ever seen that don't have a SAI marking somewhere on the barrel are the Super Matches as Glenn Nelson supplied those barrels( SAI supplied the barrels for the National Match rifles Glenn built). Devine built rifles also have marked barrels. So I'm going to say if you have a factory built rifle from SAI it is marked by SAI somewhere on the barrel.

Disclaimer--the above statement is for 100,000 serial number or less M1As only as I tend not to look at the ones that don't have USGI parts. Maybe some of you guys with higher serials numbers can add more info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts