M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any input on the quality of these SAI slings. I am ordering accessories using my "loaded" coupon, and get a discount price. Thanks in advance GI6

·
Registered
46 Posts
My sling is from SAI. It came in unstained and a little dry. I stained it and gave it a treatment of neatsfoot oil and it turned out fine. It came together properly and seems to fit just fine. I haven't had it long enough to know about the keepers but all in all seems decent quality.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i got a leather sling from springfield. it was bone dry and the leather got several surface cracks on me while i was installing it. i've since given it a couple once overs with mink oil and that issue is gone.

the keepers aren't as bad as i've seen people comment about, in my opinion. the stitching on them does look a little crappy but they've held up fine for me so far.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Have one but as everyone else said it was dry. I coated it with neatsfoot oil and it was and still is good to go. Its not a Les Tam but it OEM and its not bad.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
It should be fine for typical use. If you shoot sling supported positions regularly, it might not hold up all that long.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Go ahead and order it, if you don't like it you can just mail it to me. GI2

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I got one on an M1 I traded a horse for years ago(best damn trade I ever made). I have used mine a fair amount and it appears to be a pretty good quality item, I am perfectly happy with it anyway and the leather and metal have held up very well. I traded for the rifle in the mid-90s, and the sling was probably older than that so that might explain the quality difference between my experience and that of some of the other members.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I completely understand the appeal of real leather (and coupons) but have to suggest looking at Turner's NM "All Weather Sling"
http://prostores3.megawebservers.co...rse-5/National-Match-Service-Rifle/Detail.bok

If you want the sling more for looks or function, oil up the SAI. If you want it for functionality, Turner's alternative won't stretch, doesn't care about getting wet, and needs no maintenance.

YMMV

BTW the gas cylinder wrench and combo tool from Springfield are well worth getting if you don't have them already. Castle nut pliers might be good too if you ever want to remove the flash suppressor (to shim gas cylinder for example). The plastic rear sight cover looks goofy but is very functional - again MHO.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am not sure about the SAI slings. I heard rumors of poor quality on the newer made ones.
I bought one from Fulton Armory.

If you end up with one - give us a report to its fit and function.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone for your honest opinions. I will not be buying a sling from SAI. High Hat I have an old leather belt I can send you instead.....GI6 a little duct tape on the ends should hold up real good.P_G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts