M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting All. I am a new member and would like to say that I've read a lot of interesting and informative posts on here. Quite impressed!

I own two SAI standard M1A's and a SAI socom 16. I have always been very satisfied with them and never had any problems. Was more than a bit surprised to see many people putting down SAI. Alas, now I have a story of my own!

Just picked up a n.i.b loaded m1a that I planned to put the CASM mount on. No reservations with losing the rear site as many have expressed but then again I'm fortunate enough to have the others for iron sight shooting and planned to dedicate this rifle for scoped shooting.

Everything seemed to work as it should until I removed the empty, factory magazine magazine and cycled the bolt. The bolt stayed locked open with no empty magazine in place. The problem replicated numerous times over. The bolt is able to be closed by tapping the op-rod handle forward. When it is locked back to op-rod also seems a bit loose, almost as if it coupld be detached from the reciever at this point.

I completely disassembled and reassembled the rifle and the problem was still there. Also checked to see that the spring for the empty magazine hold open was present and it was. I called SAI this morning and will be sending it off for warranty work. They said it would probably be a three to four week turn around.

Now I see that perhaps SAI isn't all that and a bag of chips!

So my question is what are some basic upgrades that you would recommend for my other m1a's and socom 16. I've gathered bits and pieces from other posts but haven't come across a dedicated thread for a newbie like me regarding the 'not so great after all' SAI. Looking forward to advice! Thanks!

Brandon

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
It could be that when you are pulling the oprod back, you are pulling it back with slight pressure out or up and the tab is sticking or catching the disconnect notch. Try cycling it all the way back hard not partially, or make sure your pushing in and down on charging handle as you pull all the way back.

Function fire it also.

·
Registered
11,674 Posts
The bolt lock is probably rubbing on the rail inside the receiver that supports the bolt. Take a look inside with the bolt reawards, working it a little, to see if that is all it is.

The tab on your OpRod should be snug in the receiver groove when rearward. SAI will probably replace the rod or the receiver, whichever is out of spec.

If you have four fully functional rifles lying around, you already have the best back-up plan there is. RNGR2

You should always have spare small parts for any semi-auto, to include extractors, ejectors, pins and springs. If you think your hammer or trigger is cast/MIM, then have a forged one as a backup.

If it helps you sleep better at night, sell one or two of your rifles and pick up an early one that has USGI parts. Serial numbers under 100,000 are a good bet.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Hi Brandon: Welcome to the site. There are many proud owners of M14 type rifles residing here. Some shoot Springfield rifles and some shoot other makes. There are constant debates about who makes the best M14 clone. I have a 1yr old Springfield Standard and have had zero issues with it. I have replaced the cast extractor with a USGI part, and replaced the entire trigger group with an original M14 part. Your Loaded is a good piece of gear, but as you hang out here and learn, you may decide to try a different make of rifle. I am up to 5 rifles of various manufacturers, and still see rifles that I want.............Lew

·
Registered
310 Posts
Brandon,
What about the fitment of the mount? I also bought a Loaded SAI rifle to use a casm extended rail and the ears of the rear sight are off-center. The mount is dead on but the screws will not line up in the holes of the rear sight. Reluctant to send it back but it is not right and rear sight is on a tangent. Did they say to send the entire rifle back?
Jack

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Contacted SAI and they were very apologetic etc. and went ahead and just shipped the whole thing back to them on the 4th. They stated that a three to four week turn around was usually the case.

Evoskoot, hadn't had a chance to check fit of mount. Mount arrived the same day after I had shipped the rifle. Satisfied with it though as far as looks. I went with the standard gen. II. Plan on mounting a leupold varx. 3 that is not currently in use. Curious to see how it holds up over time against the recoil. That's odd about the fitment of the mount..let me know what you end up doing I'm curious. Mine may end up having the same problem won't know for about a month I suppose.

The Dude, excellent screen name by the way. The Big Lebowski is a fine piece of film work lol. Yes currently have three M1a's (well waiting on number three to get back now) two standard and one loaded and a socom 16. Nothing fancy they are all stock but I think I may do some rudimentary upgrades (nothing extreme) after being educated on this site. Really enjoy carrying them around the farm and target shooting. What is in your M1A inventory?

Herr, thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Brandon,
What about the fitment of the mount? I also bought a Loaded SAI rifle to use a casm extended rail and the ears of the rear sight are off-center. The mount is dead on but the screws will not line up in the holes of the rear sight. Reluctant to send it back but it is not right and rear sight is on a tangent. Did they say to send the entire rifle back?
Jack
I had a similar problem. The socket on the receiver that the CASM base fits into was not machined correctly. I solved the problem after talking with Fred at CASM by filing off part of the forward edge of the CASM base. Worked for me.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Just about the only mounting issue we have had with the casm is due to some rear sight pockets being machined out of alignment. Usually a small piece of feeler gage shim stock about 1/4" X 1/8" is all that is required to align the mount with the bore.

Placing a straight rod ( an arrow works well ) in the groove in the mount will indicate whether alignment is off with the barrel.

A signicant percentage of the newest Chinese receivers does show this issue. Not really.critical with iron sights but noticeable with the CASM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will be sure to post results on my CASM fit when my rifle comes back from SAI.

Oh and I forgot to ask where's the best place to get most of the M1A upgrades from?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts