M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide on my rifle purchase, I thought I wanted a Scout Squad but after looking at a Socom/Scout/Standard side by side at the LGS, I am leaning towards a Standard.
The one at the LGS is a Loaded, and after looking into it everybody seems to like them.
So, if I don't run optics on it, how do the sights do in the field for deer/hog hunting?
Not that its a direct comparison, but I have a SA 1911 Loaded and love it....so I have high hopes for their M1A too.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,065 Posts
The sights and trigger on the M14/M1A are the best of the battle rifles. They are sharp and accurate. The Loaded model will have a .062 NM front sight which is thinner than a standard width M14 front sight.
m14brian

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess that's my question, are the sights TOO thin for shooting in the sticks or will that limit me to paper?
I say I shoot 3 days a week, 2 at the range and 1 in the field for hog/coyote, and will also hunt deer.
Based on everyone's reviews, I don't think I want optics quite yet, but I do want a nice field gun. Most shots will be 50-100 yards where we hunt.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I shoot a Loaded every week. I routinely remove the scope, which sits on the very low ARMS #18 mount, and shoot with the iron sights. I've replaced the NM front sight blade with the standard front sight, but I think I could have used the NM one as well. Everyone's eyes are different.

So don't let a front sight make or break buying a rifle. You should have an extra sight blade anyway.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Won't make or break a purchase, just may persuade me in the direction of which M1A to get.

I guess either way the Loaded has a better barrel and trigger, and sights are easily changed.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I hunt with NM M1A.

I put a dab of white out at the tip of the front sight helps at low light. Also the NM rear sight is on the small side for low light conditions. Could get a larger aperture for early morning and late afternoon hunts. That is my only complaint with the sights.

The flush mount 5 rd clips make carrying easier as the balance point is right under the bolt.

I used rem 150gr corelokt for hunting, they zeroed the same as a 150gr FMJ I was using for targets. Am now working up a load using 165gr sierra gameking, will post results on this.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Am now working up a load using 165gr sierra gameking, will post results on this.
I think you'll like it. If I had to pick one all around bullet, it would be the 165 SGK. Good performance on deer, my rifles seem to like it also. The only thing I can say is watch your OAL. Due to the shape of that bullet, it doesn't really give you any room beyond the 2.750 book length.

To the OP, I do most of my hunting with the shorter M1As. Just a preference of mine. If you like the longer one better, by all means, it will work just fine for you. The sight picture for me seems to be non existent in lower light conditions with the irons. (You're mileage will vary, I know 10 years ago I wouldn't have had a problem seeing them). I run an Aimpoint on my Scout.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
If you do more hunting out of a stand get the loaded. If you are going to be on the ground and moving through brush, etc. the scout will a lot easier on you.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The flush mount 5 rd clips make carrying easier as the balance point is right under the bolt.
Been wanting a 5rd magazine for this reason, as well as making the rifle a bit less snaggy in a tight spot.

The loaded model is the best bang for the buck however it is big and heavy for hunting.
Just about everyone I know who hunts rides a 4-wheeler to a tree stand and just sits there all day!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Hunting with irons is definately my favorite way to hunt. I took my biggest buck ever with a standard with irons and got a spiker this year with my Garand. Just do not forget one important thing...you will loose about 15-25 minutes time when using your irons on the 14 and Garand. Although you can see to make a shot, once it gets too low of light, you loose the ability to accurately shoot an animal sized target at any considerable distance. Went hog hunting last Friday and where I would have been able to still shoot with my scoped rifles, I simply could not see the sights well enough to make an accurate and well placed shot on a piggy. Just keep that in mind.

-Sapp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts