M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with SAI I would like to address...I just purchased an SAI M1A from a member here and I think I have some issues:

1) The rifle appears to have a flawless finish, with no machining marks
2) the rifle is used and fired, and exhibits no pattern of unususal wear.
3) The action is smooth as butter
4) All my CMI mags fit properly in it.
5) It has all USGI TRW parts, and even has GI sights and flash hider, from the factory
6) It functions 100% with all ammo
7) The sights are indexed properly and it holds a zero at 100m 6 clicks up and the front sight mechanical zeros ever so slightly to the left of dead center
8) It is shooting milsurp into a 3 " group with open sights at 100m, which is as steady as I can hold with open sights.

I'm afraid SAI has made a mistake on this rifle, should I still shoot it? Is it safe? Should I send it back? Any help would be appreciated....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Stop!

Do not chamber another round! Ship it off to me Post Haste! I will fearlessly accept the burden that none should bear!

In all seriousness It is a bit disheartening to hear so much negative about SAI (not that it's not true) since mine is much like you described (without the GI parts) and It was brand new a year ago (s/n 245xxx)

Glad you got a keeper!

Andy

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry...I couldn't resist.GI2 My luck the darn thing will break now that I've projected the mischevious karma.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Geez, I'm sorry you got stuck with that thing.

Sorry because it should have gone to me instead!

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
No Apology Needed 7.62
It was Done Well and Humourous too
Your point is Made and I Concur
SAI still can put out a good rifle

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It is both funny and nice to see this post. Thanks for a lighthearted spoof on what has become distasteful.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just to be clear,

What is sad to me is that the reported QC issues are getting out the door and in the hands of people who paid a lot of $ and expect a quality rifle. Instead they are left scratching their heads wondering if they made a mistake.
I still wouldn't trade mine!

Oh yeah, before you send it off to me, would you kindly remove the bayonet lug? You see, I live in CA and those things apparently make you go crazy out hereGI2!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've already replaced that nasty GI FH with a good quality $40 cast NM model.GI2

Actually, I too am amazed at some of the horror stories, however, I don't hear of many that go unresolved. The neatest thing is the stories of 20 year old rifles with 3 owners going back and getting fixed.

After several stellar LRBs I had developed an unfounded hesitancy to buy another SAI, just because I hear it all here. My first one in 1978, my 10th one in 2006, all have been perfect. This is a 16 year old one and is GTG, but I still felt like I was "settling" for an SAI due to my budget. I really feel good about it now. I also used to turn up my nose at Armscorps and Fultons, but after seeing some fantastic shooting using same, I tend to choose my thoughts a little more carefully now. Hell, I'm just happy to have a rifle, and a handful of ammo. Anything after that is fluff.

As has been posted, I DO hope SAI actually reads the stuff here, good, bad and ugly, and realizes they have a huge customer base here on the Forum.

Thanks for endulging in the humor with me, feel free to add.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Don't worry 7.62bthp it's got all those usgi TRW parts including those nifty usgi sights and flash hider. The chances of it breaking are about 0. I was lucky to get one with all cast parts so I didn't have to replace all the usgi parts with the good stuff. Good luck rebuilding it, I hear you can still get commercial parts in a few places and there are a few guys out there that may take some of the GI parts off your hands. Buck up, all is not lost.

·
Retired
4,700 Posts
Sorry...I couldn't resist.GI2 My luck the darn thing will break now that I've projected the mischevious karma.
Send it to Bubba, he'll fix it up for you....ICONLOL

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
I have an issue with SAI I would like to address...I just purchased an SAI M1A from a member here and I think I have some issues:

5) It has all USGI TRW parts, and even has GI sights and flash hider, from the factory
7) The sights are indexed properly and it holds a zero at 100m 6 clicks up and the front sight mechanical zeros ever so slightly to the left of dead center
8) It is shooting milsurp into a 3 " group with open sights at 100m, which is as steady as I can hold with open sights.

I'm afraid SAI has made a mistake on this rifle, should I still shoot it? Is it safe? Should I send it back? Any help would be appreciated....
Wake up, wake up 7.62bthp. You're having another one of those dreams. GI2

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Wait... it's 16 years old? Go buy a new one made last month and let's see if your post changes any. Good joke, just hope guys buying new SAI's don't expect to find that in their box...

Can't really compare what they used to make (using many GI parts and all) to what they make today (usually all commercial parts). Not saying SAI doesn't make good rifles, just noting things have changed in 16+ years.

·
Registered
166 Posts

I've got 3 Springfield M1A's and all 3 have the exact same
defects listed above.

:ARM34:

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have a 2009 Standard all with the listed issues.
Just my luck.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Good buy 7.62bthp. Enjoy your new toy, excellent score.

Like I've said before, if it's put together right it doesn't matter what name is on the receiver.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't think this thread was at all serious. I will now seriously close it. Please excuse my attempt at dry humor, light heartedly posted because I was bored.

In the words of our Big Toe, Sgt Hulka we all need to...

Lighten up Francis....

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
It should and IS possible to post an honest consideration or different point of view without someone coming in and crapping on the rug. And I am opening this back up in order to prove that it IS possible.

People should be able to post their point of view whether or not it agrees with the OP, or deems that it might be a case of apples to oranges such as has been done here without someone making it confrontational.

If you look up confrontational in the 2011 version of Hawk's dictionary, you will see synonyms like "Duct Tape" and "suspension of privileges".

If I need to take a hard line on this sort of behavior, I won't hesitate in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I REALLY, REALLY, like this forum.........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts