M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I've searched the forum for info on removing the black finish SAI puts on stocks and know to use a paint stripper. However is there any brand others have had good results from?

Any concerns on how long to let it sit?

This is for a USGI stock and I can see the brown underneath in spots in the mag well.

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
I've stripped several over the years. The orange stuff, Citistrip, works fine.

The black krinkle paints comes off easily. The problem is the original finish underneath. SAI used the krinkle paint to cover up chips, cracks and repairs. None of these stocks were in good condition. Stripping down to the bare fiberglass is often difficult and time consuming, as the original primer and paint are a lot more difficult to remove than the black krinkle crap that SAI put over it.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,193 Posts
The brown on GI fiberglass stocks is Gel Coat, you do not want to cut through it. It like a fiberglass boat. if you want to glass to it you should grind through it so you are working with a clean surface.

Casey

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes, be careful it doesn't attack the gel coat as mentioned by Earthquake. Once finished you want to neutralize the paint stripper before applying the new finish, even before sanding it.

If you don't you can have paint remover under the new finish and it will start to remove once activated by solvents. Been there, done that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.