M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys,

I have a SAI M1A mfg. 1995, all GI parts, that for numerous reasons having to do with moving, life, etc., has remained unfired. I was just now getting around to making a few additions I wanted in order to start using it, like adding a non-Snoopy cartouched GI stock, Nat'l match sights, etc., and I notice the barrel (Winchester) is apparently over-indexed slightly, causing the front sight (entire flash hider) to be slightly canted left (from perspective of the shooter). Slightly, but discernible. Sounds like a classic over-index, which I get the impression SAI is prone to do.

Who's the best person to send this to in order to correct? I realize it's not a big deal, but I'm a little O.C.D. (a lot?) and things like this drive me nuts. It's worth it to me to correct, but I don't have a gunsmith I trust in the area, and would never attempt to back off the barrel myself.

Send it to SAI? Someone else? Recommendations appreciated.

Have a nice weekend,
DeWayne

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
SAI. Lifetime warranty.

Are you absolutely sure it is over-indexed? You have checked it from the breach end? Flashiders themselves can be out of spec, especially if it is cast or commercial.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Yes, I've checked from both ends. It's canted both with a commercial NM flash suppressor from SAI, and also with a GI flash suppressor.

I've e-mailed Springfield and will see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
You send it back to SAI and it WILL come back with alot less USGI parts. They'll just replace the barrel and not roll the shoulder. Then of coarse they'll have to replace the bolt to set the headspace. There is a thread here where a guy bought a preban national match for big money and sent it back to SAI for a few problems and by the time SAI got done with it he had a new receiver,barrel,bolt, op-rod and trigger group--making his very expensive preban worth alot less newer rifle. On a bright note after same conversation, SAI paid the guy what he had just paid for the rifle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's no good. Barrel is Winchester, bolt is HRT and op-rod is TRW (as is entire trigger group). I don't want any of that replaced. I guess I'd better be extra clear with SAI about that on the front end. Thanks for the heads up.

DeWayne

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I wouldn't send it to SAI, one of the new Wayne Machine specials yes but an old one like that loaded with GI parts no way!

If you look I'm sure you can find someone within driving distance with the tools required to properly index it

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I wouldn't send it to SAI, one of the new Wayne Machine specials yes but an old one like that loaded with GI parts no way!

If you look I'm sure you can find someone within driving distance with the tools required to properly index it
Or you could send it to JD he works on these daily. Good man.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.