M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, curiousity got the best of me ... it looks like a decent mount... mounts similiar the Sadlak.. cam type bolt, stripper clip "clamp", and a allen keyed bolt for forward pressure on the front.....

THE BIG PROBLEM.... NO "ridges" at all for interfacing with the receiver scope mount grooves.... so as far as I can figure...the sripper clip guide will take the brunt of the force from the scopes inertia.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_32&products_id=584

What do you guys think ? Should I risk possibly damaging my rifle or send it back?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'd call Springfield and ask about the missing "ridges".
That doesn't sound right?

Reviews of the SA 4th generation mount have not been favorable. Good luck.

I use the Bassett Low Mount Picatinney on my SA M1A.
It doesn't use the stripper clip guide as a mounting point.

It works perfectly and it's a lot cheaper than the Springfield mount.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Not even the horizontal keys? I understand no vertical keys since the cam and screw replace that but no horizontal key doesn't sound right to me. Does it just mash the mount into the side of the receiver and hope for the best? Can you post pics of the mount yourself showing the mount interface area?

I use the Bassett Low Mount Picatinney on my SA M1A.
It doesn't use the stripper clip guide as a mounting point.

It works perfectly and it's a lot cheaper than the Springfield mount.
If he got it at the sale price the SA Inc. Gen 4 mount isn't that much more than the Bassett picatinny mount. Although if what he's saying is right then it wouldn't matter if it was only $20, I wouldn't want it.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not even the horizontal keys? I understand no vertical keys since the cam and screw replace that but no horizontal key doesn't sound right to me. Does it just mash the mount into the side of the receiver and hope for the best? Can you post pics of the mount yourself showing the mount interface area?

If he got it at the sale price the SA Inc. Gen 4 mount isn't that much more than the Bassett picatinny mount. Although if what he's saying is right then it wouldn't matter if it was only $20, I wouldn't want it.
Yes, I bought it on sale. And No there are NO "ridges". Yes..It just mashes onto the receiver.... completely flat...

At this point I'm not liking it... in particular the lack of receiver interface. The rest of it looks good enough.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd call Springfield and ask about the missing "ridges".
That doesn't sound right?

Reviews of the SA 4th generation mount have not been favorable. Good luck.
Do you have any links to your "reviews" by chance? I would like to see if they are all like this... ( and read everyone elses thoughts on it.. )

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Call SA Inc. and see what the deal is. If this is what it is I'd say send it back. It just doesn't seem right to me.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Call SA Inc. and see what the deal is. If this is what it is I'd say send it back. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Sadly... they are already closed for the holiday...

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have called Springfield first to find out if all the mounts were made like this.
Frankly, I NEVER thought any major manufacturer would sell a M1A mount like this...that is without the ridge.

And I actually e-mailed them twice for info on it , prior to buying it... ( the on-sale part got me to buy it..)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
ya'know... i was having high hopes Springfield would get this 4th gen mount off to a great running start.
Please update what you learn about no keys to line up. It aint right.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I was looking at this mount again last night... you can see where the ridge was there... it was milled off. And as per SAI, I don't need it.... it is still on the Aluminum 4th Gen ones, just not the Steel ones. The CS dept said that it ( the ridge ) would slowly degrade from being taken on/off ( from the mashing it into the reciever). CS dept. said they tested it throughly and decided the "ridge" wasn't needed. ( To be blunt, I am not comfortable with that decision from them.) I think I might try to talk to Sadlak and Smith, and get their opinion on that train of thought. Hmmmm....GI9

They also said it is made out of the same steel as both the Sadlak and Smith mounts, and he will find some Tech sheets/info and e-mail it.

I really want to try this mount... arrgh.

FYI, CS dept did say if I wanted, returning it was no problem.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
The key on the mount that mates with the groove on the receiver is an essential component of the design that provides solid attachment. It anchors the mount to the receiver and, combined with the clip guide key for the dovetail, the hex screw/cam washer combination, thumb screw in the picitinny rail, is one of the features that guarantees that the mount will not loosen from the repeated forces of recoil. When the mount key is missing, all the forces are applied to the Hex Screw which, if made correctly, should be "half hard" - less than the receiver so in the event of a problem, the hex screw breaks before any damage is done to the receiver.

The key on the Sadlak scope mount will not suffer and "degrading" when removed and reinstalled because the key will be dimensionally correct to fit the groove o n the receiver. There is the possibility that the mount may require custom fitting if the receiver groove is grossly out of spec but that is not a problem for us.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The key on the mount that mates with the groove on the receiver is an essential component of the design that provides solid attachment. It anchors the mount to the receiver and, combined with the clip guide key for the dovetail, the hex screw/cam washer combination, thumb screw in the picitinny rail, is one of the features that guarantees that the mount will not loosen from the repeated forces of recoil. When the mount key is missing, all the forces are applied to the Hex Screw which, if made correctly, should be "half hard" - less than the receiver so in the event of a problem, the hex screw breaks before any damage is done to the receiver.

The key on the Sadlak scope mount will not suffer and "degrading" when removed and reinstalled because the key will be dimensionally correct to fit the groove o n the receiver. There is the possibility that the mount may require custom fitting if the receiver groove is grossly out of spec but that is not a problem for us.
Thank you for your time and input ! I will be sending the SAI mount back. Should bought a Sadlak in the first place.

Live and Learn.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had one of the steel 4th gen mounts installed on my NM when I sent it back to Springfield for a barrel indexing problem. The accompanying work order says that the mount was installed and "bore sighted". So far, it appears to be spot on with the Leupold Mk III 2.5 x 8 that I tempoariarly installed, pending the arrival of the Mk III 6.5 x 20 that will be the permanent scope. I haven't removed the mount, so I don't know if the mount has the ridges or not, but it does appear to be solidly mounted.

·
Registered
424 Posts
That's too bad, it looks like a nice mount. Obviously they were trying to avoid the headache factor of matching the key to out of spec receiver grooves; something Sadlak goes the extra mile to correct. Mike should take this design and improve on it, make it his own. Removing a quarter pound of steel in the mount's middle is a good idea, plus it's not used or a factor in protecting the scope. However, the back rail can go further over the rear sight to help with eye relief.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think the design needs more time out there. I was sceptical of the Bassett mount till I used one. I just couldn't believe that a mount would hold up with only the one bolt holding it, but it does and works great. So time will tell if the Springfield mount is good or not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts