M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CMP M1 carbine going to convert into funds for our local scout troop. Not in a hurry, but want to sell in an informed manner. Suggestions welcome on best venue for that. My armorer got this for me while deployed, we were both match shooters, so unsure what that order looked like.

Saginaw receiver, #'s put it at 1943
Barrel Saginaw SG
Bolt ----------------SG
Barrel band ------AI Inland
Rear sight ------ JAO inland
Oprod ------------ PI Inland
could not sort out what the trigger housing is
Stock stamped FAT 82
Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Wood Air gun Musical instrument Natural material Trigger

· Registered
1,577 Posts
BEST venue, IMO the CMP WTS M1 Carbine forum. ROEs prohibit giving values here, for good reason. Check around the CMP forum, you'll see what comparable Carbines are listed at and being sold.

· Registered
3,139 Posts
One is Saginaw Steering made in Saginaw MI., the other made in Grand Rapids MI. I believe GR took over the Irwin Pedersen contract.
You are correct. When Irwin Peterson had issues in the Grand Rapids plant they were taken over by Saginaw Steering Gear. These were then marked S'G'.
The Saginaw plant remained marking their rifles SG or S.G. ( I beliieve?)

· Civilian Non-Combatant
2,234 Posts
I know nearly nothing about the relative desirability (and so, the price) of the variations of the M1 Carbine from a collector's point of view but:

Sometime around 2019 or 2020, our adult son was offered an M-1 Carbine for something less than $500. Post war, commercial, not GI . . .I just don't recall the specs now. The seller said it needed some work because there was a feeding problem. I got a call from him asking for my go/mo-go advice. I put in a call to my buddy at a pawn shop for some idea of the non-collector, real world market value. His immediate advice was something like, "Tell him to buy it whatever they want . . .I can't keep any gun in the shop just now!"

Our son made the deal, bought two magazines and it ran all day at the range. . . .no problems.

Kinda makes it priceless in a way.

· Registered
3,159 Posts
I know nearly nothing about the relative desirability (and so, the price) of the variations of the M1 Carbine from a collector's point of view but:

Sometime around 2019 or 2020, our adult son was offered an M-1 Carbine for something less than $500. Post war, commercial, not GI . . .I just don't recall the specs now. The seller said it needed some work because there was a feeding problem. I got a call from him asking for my go/mo-go advice. I put in a call to my buddy at a pawn shop for some idea of the non-collector, real world market value. His immediate advice was something like, "Tell him to buy it whatever they want . . .I can't keep any gun in the shop just now!"

Our son made the deal, bought two magazines and it ran all day at the range. . . .no problems.

Kinda makes it priceless in a way.
A lot of times the 30 round magazines will wear on the two little magazine catch ears and not feed properly because they are hanging a little low. If you inspect the magazines, it's pretty easy to spot

· Registered
5,869 Posts
These two websites have great information about the M1 Carbine.

You can enter the serial number of your carbine and see what parts it had when it left the factory.

Don't be surprised if the parts in it now, don't match up with what left the factory.

The M1 Carbine was in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam and went through several rebuilds.

The M1 Carbine is considered a "mix master" firearm.

· Registered
878 Posts
The guys at the Carbine Collectors (see above link by wiz1997) would most likely want you to fill out a sheet for them at some point, but, like here, they want to see photos of EVERYTHING. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out the trigger group. Might have a symbol in the magwell if it isn't on the rear right. That's where Underwood marked theirs with a U. The bulk marked theirs on that rear right corner. You can go down a fairly deep rabbit hole figuring out what's what (types for parts, etc), but they will steer you right.

· Registered
4,099 Posts
I bought a trifecta of M1 carbines from the CMP when they had that Italian lot. I bought a Winchester, a Rockola and an Inland. All came with the FAT stocks but I've replaced them all with the correct stocks. I've still got the FAT stocks as they'll probably be of some value someday.............................

Not sure what the current values on any of them is today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts