M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you please tell me how you set your barrel tensioning screw?

My instructions say "just touching". But being the OCD person that I am I'm not sure how to gauge this perfectly. Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
I personally back mine off so it does NOT touch. I tried it with it just touching as specified but I was stringing shots upward. Once I backed the screw off the barrel, it seemed to stop. FWIW.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally back mine off so it does NOT touch. I tried it with it just touching as specified but I was stringing shots upward. Once I backed the screw off the barrel, it seemed to stop. FWIW.
Interesting. I had always heard that you don't want anything touching the barrel if possible. Then in these instructions it states"just touching" to prevent barrel whip. Kind of contradicts what I have always thought. Guess it will be one of those trial and error deals.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
I was having a issue with POI change when the weapon heated up. As it got hot the POI would move up by 2 inches or so and the groups would open up. I removed the barrel tension screw and this seems to have fixed that issue. I need to do a little more testing but I'm pretty confident that the issue is resolved.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This stock is really disappointing. I tried it with the screw "just touching", "slightly touching", "definitely touching" and removed.
groups pretty much all over the place no matter what I did. It actually shoots worse than the plastic SAI stock it came in.

FYI this is a SAI loaded, Sadlak Scope mount, Sadlak spring guide, SE USCG brake with a S&B PMII and using Fed GMM, Black Hills match, Hornady A-Max, LC M118LR even DAG.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am sorry to hear that. Both of my SAGE stocks really tightened up the groups on my M1A's (One is a "Loaded" and the other is an 18" Scout). Both of mine have optics and I have been able to get under MOA groups at 100 yrds with them.

For ideas, I would have to look at the (somewhat) simple things first. Is anything binding in the stock? Do you have good clearance on the top cover and is the Op Rod Guide installed straight with no binding? Scope mount/rings secure and installed correctly?

I am sure you have already checked these items but it is worth mentioning. I hope you can find a solution that is no too major.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Nothing Wrong with your Sage Chassis

This stock is really disappointing. I tried it with the screw "just touching", "slightly touching", "definitely touching" and removed.
groups pretty much all over the place no matter what I did. It actually shoots worse than the plastic SAI stock it came in.

FYI this is a SAI loaded, Sadlak Scope mount, Sadlak spring guide, SE USCG brake with a S&B PMII and using Fed GMM, Black Hills match, Hornady A-Max, LC M118LR even DAG.

I am sure there are other variables that are happening with your Sage build. You are the first person here that is not happy or is disappointed with your SAGE EBR conversion thus far.GI3

FWIW........Click Here. and Here

My barrel tension set screw is just touching the barrel.DI5

I would recommend to send your rifle to a gun smith if problem persists. A few gun smiths I suggest are Ted Brown, Jon Wolfe or to SEI and even send her to vette447.GI2GI1

Give them each a call and take it from there.
http://m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=54366

Good Luck,
M1A96819

·
Registered
40 Posts

Peen the barrel where the op rod guide fits so the op rod guide is tight.
Clamp the trigger guard to the stock in the action with the op rod guide screws not installed.
Lock the oprod guide back and look through the mounting screw holes in the side of the stock, they should line up with the holes in the op rod guide PERFECTLY.
If not, the gun is flexing under tension when the screws are mounted.
A heel shim may line things up. At worst - your receiver is so out of spec it needs filing to fit the Sage.

I have seen a few like this both with cast AND forged receivers.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clamp the trigger guard to the stock in the action with the op rod guide screws not installed.
Lock the oprod guide back and look through the mounting screw holes in the side of the stock, they should line up with the holes in the op rod guide PERFECTLY.
A heel shim may line things up. At worst - your receiver is so out of spec it needs filing to fit the Sage.

I know the op rod guide is tight because I had to beat the crap out of it to get it on. I noticed last night that it was a hair off and the op rod was not aligned with the gas piston perfectly. I also noticed that the op rod was dragging on the hand grip so I dremled out a channel for it. I might just expose the op rod completely. And I removed the crush washer and used my shim pack instead from someone elses suggestion.

I will check your other suggestions when I get home tonight. Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just wish I could shoot good enough to actually notice if it makes any difference…

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I just removed the 3 op rod guide screws.

They do. What difference would the position of the op rod make?

Anything else? Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a SAI squad scout I put in a SAGE stock myself. I'm not a very experienced shooter but I had trouble with mine at first.

I'm going to assume I just had a really bad day of shooting off of sandbags. I thought I farted around with the barrel tensioner too much and messed up my barrel or something because EVERYONE says accuracy increases with these stocks. Once I got a railmount for my harris bipod I started shooting really good pairs last time I took it out through my aimpoint CompM3.

Maybe mine just had to work it's way in with a little recoil... lol I dunno, I'm no smith.

No real tips... just don't give up on it.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Last weekend I shot my M1A with EBR MOD0 first time with Rem Match Ammo, 168gr Match King.
300m 5 shot groupsize about 10cm. Thats slightly above 1MOA.
BUT...: I shot 10 rounds and the 1st five strings down about
5cm each shot. Or vice versa, first 5 rounds into 10cm and then climbing of the consecutive rounds. I guess it has something to do with the barrel heating up.
Next weekend I`ll try it with tension srew removed.
Wolf

1 - 15 of 15 Posts