M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been shooting my Sage EBR m1a a couple times and have noticed that the screw on the left hand side of the op rod guide does not go in all the way. I remember having a tought time installing the guide onto the barrel. The screw seems to bind up and not go in all the way were as the one on the right does. Could this be because the guide is not even, it looks like its even. The op rod passes through the guide good and does not show any distinctive wear. I attached a picture of the screw in question. Should I get a small washer and place it under the screw? I want my rifle to be as accurate as possible and wondering if this is a problem I should be worried about.

·
Registered
468 Posts
First off, two very stupid questions.

How old is your EBR Stock... Early ones had screws that were NF fine thread and later ones had NC Course threads. Many times screws from the hand guard which are NC are mixed up with the screws for the op rod guide block which is NF.

Next is when you put your rifle together did you take all screws down to where they should be before tightening them up? The early NF threads were easy to x-thread.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I bought my stock probably around march of this year. Just pulled the screws off of the handguard and they look like the same as the ones on the op guide. I remember that the screw was tight to get in the first time I put it in. I'll try and take a picture of the screw hole on the opguide. EBRbuilder, it does look like the threads have become x-thread. What are my options, should I place a small washer under the bolt that has the x threads? How much is a new guide?

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
I hate to tell you this bud, but it is cross threaded, the bottom contacts and the top doesn't, according to the pic. Maybe you can remove it real gentle like, and get the proper screw to replace it with, then chase out the threads with proper tool from the hardware store. A little teflon tape on the screw or pipe joint compound or blue locktight might help when re-installing the new one. Just be careful and don't over torque it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would I need a tap to re-thread the hole? The screw in question can be screwed and unscrewed its just that it comes in at an angle. How much would a new op rod guide cost?

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
oooo, don't know how much they cost, might check with Sage or Clyde Armory for replacement, and order screws while you are at it, just in case it happens again....could have been piloted crooked at the factory and not your fault...in that case, you could contact Sage, they have good customer service. I would send them the same pic you posted here and tell them its crooked before tapping it, they might replace it free.

Yeah, the same size tap will chase it out if it isn't too badly messed up already and thread peaks broke off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I've taken you guys advice and emailed Sage with the picture of the crooked thread hole. Hopefully they should respond soon. I'd like to get prepared incase they don't and buy a tap for the thread hole. Does anyone know what size tap I would need?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts