M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday, Jan 30 the range was cold and raining hard, made for a great day to have the range all ourselves as we tested out a few rifles:

I used Portuguese Surplus ammo and Tula .308 steel cased ammo.

EBR Mod 0
Springfield Armory Standard
Sage International EBR Mod 0 stock
Magpul AFGII
Tangodown rail Cover
Mk 14 3 pt sling (tan)
Leupold 3-9x scope on leupold rings, using Sage Stripper Clip Rail
Sadlak Heavy Spring Guide Rod (National Match)
Titanium Firing pin

EBR Mod 1
Sage International EBR Mod 1 Stock
Tango Down Rail Panel
Sadlak Spring Guide, standard weight

Yours Truly

Well, my local range is only up to 100 yards, so that is the limit at which I shot Sunday.

First, the Mod 0. Since it has a scope, it was a lot easier to get good groupings. I am not a great shot by any means, but 1" groups were doable, however I was not as consistent prone as I was in the Lead Sled. The rifle is heavy, 15 lbs with scope unloaded. It's a beast. The Mod 0 is very comfortable to shoot and I really like the ERGO grip and AFGII.

Second, the Mod 1. It started out with the Eotech 552.308XR but that was quickly removed as I didn't feel like spending the time zeroing, plus I wanted to shoot with iron sights. This is where my shame comes in. My groups prone and in the lead sled were terrible, something like 4" groups, I'm admittedly a poor iron sight shooter. The mod 1 stock is much lighter even with the eotech 13 lbs. I didn't weight it without. I do not care for the tango down grip as much, but will keep it for the time being. Same goes for the Troy Battle grip, I prefer the AFGII. I plan to buy 2 LT 608 mounts for this, one for the Eotech 522.308 and magnifier and one for a scope. I really like the color and look of the stock overall.

Hope someone finds the review helpful.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Firstly sir,
That collection you have right that actually made me drool... onto my keyboard. Thought id let you know GI6

Secondly, thank you for your review of the stocks (Mod 0 and Mod 1) your reviews and others on this forum are all helping me make my eventual investment into an EBR stock.

Regards,
Snicker

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Horrible as it is no. I actually didn't attached the barrel to the stock on either rifle. Wanted to try them without and am thus far happy with the results, plus I wasnt sure which stock I was keeping so I didn't want to go through the trouble of disassembling the rifle completely when one would eventually be going back into a wood stock.

Not sure if I NEED to put the screw in device on the barrel either...

·
Registered
509 Posts
your groups will tighten up and will be more consistant with the op rod block(with bolts) and the top set screw slightly touching. torque them all to specs.

nice set!

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
That's a heck of a lineup.GI5

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at those legs he can use any and all interactions with any kind of light possible GI6.

When you decide on one and set it up proper report back, should be a good comparison.
Hey, it's winter-ish here....nit much chance for a tan..

And I have a feeling I'll be keeping both stocks, just not the same rifles. Just gyms quote on a Winchester parts and LRB M25 build to go into the mod 1. Each stock serves a purpose I think and besides, I can afford both, so I'll keep both. Haha. It's a disease I tell you.

Once I get the new rifle, I'll most likely have the op rod block installed on it

·
Banned
253 Posts
Shimless

Sunday, Jan 30 the range was cold and raining hard, made for a great day to have the range all ourselves as we tested out a few rifles:

I used Portuguese Surplus ammo and Tula .308 steel cased ammo.

EBR Mod 1
Sage International EBR Mod 1 Stock
Tango Down Rail Panel
Sadlak Spring Guide, standard weight

Yours Truly

Well, my local range is only up to 100 yards, so that is the limit at which I shot Sunday.

First, the Mod 0. Since it has a scope, it was a lot easier to get good groupings. I am not a great shot by any means, but 1" groups were doable, however I was not as consistent prone as I was in the Lead Sled. The rifle is heavy, 15 lbs with scope unloaded. It's a beast. The Mod 0 is very comfortable to shoot and I really like the ERGO grip and AFGII.

Second, the Mod 1. It started out with the Eotech 552.308XR but that was quickly removed as I didn't feel like spending the time zeroing, plus I wanted to shoot with iron sights. This is where my shame comes in. My groups prone and in the lead sled were terrible, something like 4" groups, I'm admittedly a poor iron sight shooter. The mod 1 stock is much lighter even with the eotech 13 lbs. I didn't weight it without. I do not care for the tango down grip as much, but will keep it for the time being. Same goes for the Troy Battle grip, I prefer the AFGII. I plan to buy 2 LT 608 mounts for this, one for the Eotech 522.308 and magnifier and one for a scope. I really like the color and look of the stock overall.

Hope someone finds the review helpful.
Sweet Mod 1 !!

Do the barrel bands ever get in the way?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Great Range Report.DI5

Mahalo's

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm seriously considering picking up a Sage Mod 0 to mount my LRB M25 w/ Kreiger medium weight barrel in. What would something like that set me back and should I order directly from Sage? And do they come in any colors other than black?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm seriously considering picking up a Sage Mod 0 to mount my LRB M25 w/ Kreiger medium weight barrel in. What would something like that set me back and should I order directly from Sage? And do they come in any colors other than black?
check out clyde armory http://www.policeguns.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_225

they have the navy gray and the black. those are the only colors for that type. years ago they had the brown m39 but that wasa limited run.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would say order from Clyde Armory and go with the Navy Seal Gray MOD 0 but that is just my personal opinion. It is the same as a standard ALCS (MOD 0) stock but I like the Gray color as opposed to plain black. GI6

·
Registered
413 Posts
Slap in some match ammo, I'm sure your group size will come down a little. Also doesn't help it was in the 30's down here that weekend. Being in the prone had to be cold. What part of the state are you in? I'm in the southwest. Lake chuck

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Slap in some match ammo, I'm sure your group size will come down a little. Also doesn't help it was in the 30's down here that weekend. Being in the prone had to be cold. What part of the state are you in? I'm in the southwest. Lake chuck
Lafayette. it was very cold and raining. fun day though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
check out clyde armory http://www.policeguns.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=28_225

they have the navy gray and the black. those are the only colors for that type. years ago they had the brown m39 but that wasa limited run.
Yeah, I think I prefer the gray too.

I'm in California and I've heard from others in CA that have contacted Clyde Armory they won't sell the Sage stock to Californians because they say the stock is illegal here. That's horse-**** but when I get to the point of pulling the trigger (pun intended) I'll give them a call myself to find out.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I'm in California and I've heard from others in CA that have contacted Clyde Armory they won't sell the Sage stock to Californians because they say the stock is illegal here. That's horse-**** but when I get to the point of pulling the trigger (pun intended) I'll give them a call myself to find out.
It's true, I just went through it. The last they officially heard was that they are illegal which this is when the Sage stock first came out. They have tried contacting CA DOJ and ATF several times since then but never get a clear answer. Since the last clear answer was they're illegal this is the stance they are taking. Personally I don't blame them since CA does have some screwed up laws and if no authority will give them a clear answer it's basically CYA.

This was in an e-mail Matt Salie sent me:

We can't ship to California residents. It's because of the pistol grip and collapsible stock.

I have had tons of angry people call up here and explain how it's just an accessory and nobody can pin you with proof of intent, so I know it must seem frustrating to California residents. Unfortunately, every time I call the California ATF branches, I get transferred to another office, who will transfer me to another office, who will then transfer me to a completely separate government entity and so forth with absolutely no answers about these stocks. It's completely ridiculous, nobody knows what's going on in the offices over there. So the bad news is, we can't send them over there until we hear otherwise, since the last definitive news we received from them years ago was that we can't legally ship them.
I got that e-mail January 4th, 2011 so it's pretty recent. Best thing to do... find a good friend outside of CA to ship to and have them forward it to you, that's how my Sage Mod 1 made it's trek to CA.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's true, I just went through it. The last they officially heard was that they are illegal which this is when the Sage stock first came out. They have tried contacting CA DOJ and ATF several times since then but never get a clear answer. Since the last clear answer was they're illegal this is the stance they are taking. Personally I don't blame them since CA does have some screwed up laws and if no authority will give them a clear answer it's basically CYA.

This was in an e-mail Matt Salie sent me:

I got that e-mail January 4th, 2011 so it's pretty recent. Best thing to do... find a good friend outside of CA to ship to and have them forward it to you, that's how my Sage Mod 1 made it's trek to CA.
Seems CA already has tons of revenue, that they can afford to run their super efficient DOJ offices and not worry about any extra potential tax dollars.

Back on topic though, does anyone make custom op-rod blocks for different size barrels? Or can they be custom ordered?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts