M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the general concensus on the Sage EBR stock. I have heard alot of positive comments on it but have yet to see alot of people put it to task. I imagine it's due to price as it is a little high considering it doesn't really do anything except reduce the pull and add positions for sights etc. which is big to real world operators like USNSeals etc who supposedly "really" use this stock even according to the mfg. Sage who I spoke with personally today. Not that I discount that as a real possibility as dumber stuff has happened, but I would ask, why would the SEAL's want a gray stock? your gonna wear cammo and carry a gray weapon? whats up with that. anyone got opinions on this idea and the stock I would like to hear them. although I would love to get one, but it's like buying another gun............ :roll:

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
SAGE EBR stocks

Try this link and associated web site.

The SEAL's use a special Chop Mod stock from SAGE.
I also question the color even though it's non-reflective.
Maybe its primer and they paint them when the get them...

The SAGE stock beds your action as well as semi-floating the barrel.
This alone will make your M1A very accurate.

My Scout's action feels smoother in the SAGE.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I think they look cool as hell, but are probably way heavier than I'd want to drag around. $$ too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did some research in to the Sage my self. I believe SR420 is correct in the assessment of the cost and weight in comparison between these 2 quality companies(McMillan and Sage).

Bottom line for me is the flexibility and ergonomics. Which hopefully I will get to try one in my own hands soon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mounted a former Scout into the Sage EBR stock; it's MUCH more accurate in the new stock... (took off at least 1-1.5 MOA, I'd estimate, with ADI 144-gr.)

A couple of things to consider:

1. it's NOT drop-in; you replace the op rod spring guide with a block that mounts into the EBR frame (free-floating it from that point out) and, as such, off comes the FS and GC...and the block is a TIGHT fit onto the barrel...so you just can't "pop it out" and put it back into a standard stock, even if you wanted to;

2. it weighs approximately 11 pounds total (weapon & stock);

3. you're provided with a 0.063" shim to take up the space used by the front band (mine didn't fit tightly -- but Sage offers free shims akin to those used to unitize the GC if you ask them); and

4. contact Sage IF you have other than a standard weight barrel: I just helped a friend get his all set up to discover, after reassembling the action, placing it into the lower stock and latching the trigger group in place, the hanguard cover contacted the left side of the enlarged barrel near the receiver -- it was due to his having a match barrel (don't know much about barrels...still a neophyte in that area...so I can't give you much more detail than that) -- and it wouldn't fully close. Had to take it back out... (what a disappointing and laborious nightmare for my friend and I !)

I hope that helps. Don't mean to sound negative -- it's AWESOME -- but there are some considerations prior to purchasing one...

FYI, John Klein (Sage president) got on the phone to ascertain why the stock didn't fit my friend's weapon...he was very gracious and most helpful as we brainstormed the problem...

PS -- was told the holes were to lighten the solidly-built stock frame...

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
warbird said:
The only problem I have with this stock is all those holes on the forend.
Can you imagine all the dirt getting in and making your rifle inopperable ?
I wish the forends were solid with no holes.
Pretty much what does get inside comes right out. Or it can be cleaned out quickly.

StealthNeighbor said:
Mounted a former Scout into the Sage EBR stock; it's MUCH more accurate in the new stock... (took off at least 1-1.5 MOA, I'd estimate, with ADI 144-gr.)...
... it weighs approximately 11 pounds total (weapon & stock); ...
Excellent!

My extra shims and hex cap screws arrived today :)

Do you have any pictures of your Scout to share?

·
Registered
4 Posts
4. contact Sage IF you have other than a standard weight barrel: I just helped a friend get his all set up to discover, after reassembling the action, placing it into the lower stock and latching the trigger group in place, the hanguard cover contacted the left side of the enlarged barrel near the receiver -- it was due to his having a match barrel (don't know much about barrels...still a neophyte in that area...so I can't give you much more detail than that) -- and it wouldn't fully close. Had to take it back out... (what a disappointing and laborious nightmare for my friend and I !)
What barrel did he have? is it a heavy weight NM barrel or a medium weight NM Barrel?

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
postalbill said:
What barrel did he have? is it a heavy weight NM barrel or a medium weight NM Barrel?
Either way it does not matter except that Fulton Armory supplied medium weight barrels will fit a Sage International, Ltd. stock. All other medium weight and all heavyweight barrels won't fit the Sage International stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heres the deal, I want the EBR, but I have a Loaded SA M1A (with a medium NM barrel). So I contacted SAGE Intl on this one....

They called springfield and the answer they gave me is that there is no difference in size between the Fulton medium weight and the SA medium weight barrels....

Now I'm confused, is fulton trying to sell me their medium weight barrel by telling me that only "theirs" will fit? Or was SA mistaken? Or was SAGE just trying to sell me their stock?

If you truely know the answer to this please reply, I would like to know the difference if there is one.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
postalbill said:
Heres the deal, I want the EBR, but I have a Loaded SA M1A (with a medium NM barrel). So I contacted SAGE Intl on this one....

They called springfield and the answer they gave me is that there is no difference in size between the Fulton medium weight and the SA medium weight barrels....

Now I'm confused, is fulton trying to sell me their medium weight barrel by telling me that only "theirs" will fit? Or was SA mistaken? Or was SAGE just trying to sell me their stock?

If you truely know the answer to this please reply, I would like to know the difference if there is one.
I have asked someone who will know the answer. I'll let you know what I find out. :D

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
postalbill,

Here's your answer. The Fulton Armory medium weight barrel is contoured at the point where the Sage stock internal bosses for the hand guard screws would otherwise interfere with the barrel.

HTH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Different! Looks like I'll be going with the Fulton barrel as well....

Unless I can get equal performance with their USGI barrel (which says NM quality). Any thoughts?

Also one quick question, I have a Gen 3 Scope Mount on my M1A, after about 4 to 5 rounds I have to re-tighten the screws on the mount. Just how tight do I need to get these things? Should hand tight be enough or do I need to "carefully" tighten them down with a screwdriver? I have a screwdriver Torque wrench set to in/lbs, is there a certain torque value I should be looking for?

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Scope mount idea...

postalbill said:
... Also one quick question, I have a Gen 3 Scope Mount on my M1A, after about 4 to 5 rounds I have to re-tighten the screws on the mount...
If you are planning to use your scope mount
with the SAGE consider mounting the scope
directly to the top rail as pictured below.

It looks like all you need are two correct rings.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
postalbill said:
Thanks Different! Looks like I'll be going with the Fulton barrel as well....

Unless I can get equal performance with their USGI barrel (which says NM quality). Any thoughts?

Also one quick question, I have a Gen 3 Scope Mount on my M1A, after about 4 to 5 rounds I have to re-tighten the screws on the mount. Just how tight do I need to get these things? Should hand tight be enough or do I need to "carefully" tighten them down with a screwdriver? I have a screwdriver Torque wrench set to in/lbs, is there a certain torque value I should be looking for?
Everything else being equal, a thicker barrel will be more accurate. Underline the phrase "Everything else being equal."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.